From: me on
A friend has brought me his XP netbook which will not boot. The
restore option calls for the original CD. Since the netbookmhas no CD
player that is not an option. I suspect that there will be the usual
recovery partition.

At mydisposal I have I have my own laptop and two desktops, all
running XP Pro; a 16GB memory stick;Acronis True Image software for
capturing and restoring images; Isobuster; Nero which will create an
iso;; and quite a lot of experiiiiience.

How can I get this netbook to boot normally?

Colin
From: DL on
Either using the recovery partition, from 'how to access' on netbook site or
using an external cd drive & the origonal supplied recovery cd.
One assumes you've tried the various F8 options to boot

From: Daave on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> A friend has brought me his XP netbook which will not boot.

What is the make and model?

Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)

Is there a problem with the battery? Is there an AC adapter you can use?

> The restore option calls for the original CD.

Was this from the official documentation?

> Since the netbook has no CD player that is not an option.

If those are the instructions, that is the only option. You will need to
attach an external optical drive and configure the BIOS to boot off of
it. This information should be in the documentation. If you can't find
it, we should be able to guide you.

> I suspect that there will be the usual
> recovery partition.

Probably not if the manufacturer supplied a CD.

Speaking of...

Is it an actaul Windows XP installation CD? Or some sort of
Recovery/Restoration disk?

> At mydisposal I have I have my own laptop and two desktops, all
> running XP Pro; a 16GB memory stick;Acronis True Image software for
> capturing and restoring images; Isobuster; Nero which will create an
> iso;; and quite a lot of experiiiiience.
>
> How can I get this netbook to boot normally?

You really need an external CD drive.

From: me on
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:37:43 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>> A friend has brought me his XP netbook which will not boot.
>
>What is the make and model?

Medion E1210

>Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
>is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)

Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.

>Is there a problem with the battery? Is there an AC adapter you can use?

No

>> The restore option calls for the original CD.
>
>Was this from the official documentation?

It is from the original setup of Windows

>> Since the netbook has no CD player that is not an option.
>
>If those are the instructions, that is the only option. You will need to
>attach an external optical drive and configure the BIOS to boot off of
>it. This information should be in the documentation. If you can't find
>it, we should be able to guide you.
>
>> I suspect that there will be the usual
>> recovery partition.
>
>Probably not if the manufacturer supplied a CD.
>
>Speaking of...

No. I only had a quick look but I believe that it is a bootable CD
that will allow me to access a recovery partition.

>Is it an actaul Windows XP installation CD? Or some sort of
>Recovery/Restoration disk?
>
>> At mydisposal I have I have my own laptop and two desktops, all
>> running XP Pro; a 16GB memory stick;Acronis True Image software for
>> capturing and restoring images; Isobuster; Nero which will create an
>> iso;; and quite a lot of experiiiiience.
>>
>> How can I get this netbook to boot normally?

>You really need an external CD drive.

I can borrow one but ideally I need to convert the CD to a memory
stick.>

From: Bill in Co. on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:37:43 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> me(a)privacy.net wrote:
>>> A friend has brought me his XP netbook which will not boot.
>>
>> What is the make and model?
>>
> Medion E1210
>
>> Are you saying that Windows won't boot? Or that the PC won't boot? (That
>> is, you are unable even to access the BIOS?)
>

> Windows won't boot. A file is missing in "System" folder.
>>
>> Is there a problem with the battery? Is there an AC adapter you can use?
>>
> No
>
>>> The restore option calls for the original CD.
>>
>> Was this from the official documentation?
>
> It is from the original setup of Windows
>>
>>> Since the netbook has no CD player that is not an option.
>>
>> If those are the instructions, that is the only option. You will need to
>> attach an external optical drive and configure the BIOS to boot off of
>> it. This information should be in the documentation. If you can't find
>> it, we should be able to guide you.
>>
>>> I suspect that there will be the usual
>>> recovery partition.
>>
>> Probably not if the manufacturer supplied a CD.
>>
>> Speaking of...
>
> No. I only had a quick look but I believe that it is a bootable CD
> that will allow me to access a recovery partition.

Why would a CD be needed for a recovery partition on the HD? You should be
able to access the recovery partition directly at bootup by entering the
proper key sequence. Like for a Dell, it's F11 or Ctrl-F11, as I recall.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Visual Basic
Next: Disk Management Missing