From: Rod Speed on
me here wrote:
> terryc wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:17:29 +1100, me here wrote:
>>

>>> I boought Netcomm (ADSL2+ modem/router) on rave recommendations.
>>>
>>> 14 months later it died.
>>>
>>> Now it appears all that model (NB6+4) cook themeselves to death
>>> about then.
>>
>> How old?
>> Mine is still going. must be 3 years old?
>>>
>>> So some of these up front reviews don't work out as well as
>>> expected.
>>
>> lol, never ever believe a new product review. they got it for free
>> and will only get more if they write a favourable review.
>>

>>> It put me off of any more Netcomm.
>>
>> My Netcomm NB3300 was retired working. so, i've done okay, so far.
>

> The current crop run very hot and dry out the capacitors.
>
> 14 months is about when they start to pack up if they are on 24/7.
>
> If it's gone three years on 24/7 then you've done well.
>
> The comments regarding LG seem pretty right. LG used to be a good
> product years gone by.
>
> Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer unit,
> the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid quality feel about it.

My Pioneer died and the replacement LG is still going fine for much longer than the Pioneer did.

> The LG so far has gone OK, but it doesn't get much hard work.

Mine did a lot more work than the Pioneer did.

From: Rod Speed on
terryc wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:43:33 +1100, me here wrote:
>

>> Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer
>> unit, the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid
>> quality feel about it.

> Frankly, IMO, since 8Gb hard disks arrived, it has all gone flaky.

Nope, havent had even a single failure of my Samsung hard drives all much bigger than that.

> any piece of hardware from before that time has been retired
> with minimal failures. Anything after goes out as scrap metal.

Pure fantasy.

From: Clocky on
Rod Speed wrote:
> terryc wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:43:33 +1100, me here wrote:
>>

>>> Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer
>>> unit, the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid
>>> quality feel about it.
>
>> Frankly, IMO, since 8Gb hard disks arrived, it has all gone flaky.
>
> Nope, havent had even a single failure of my Samsung hard drives all
> much bigger than that.
>> any piece of hardware from before that time has been retired
>> with minimal failures. Anything after goes out as scrap metal.
>
> Pure fantasy.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember all those flakey MFM and IDE
harddrives. Warranties sucked in those days too so at least in that regard
hard drives have improved significantly.

From: . on
On 15/05/2010 3:28 AM, Clocky wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> terryc wrote:

>>> Frankly, IMO, since 8Gb hard disks arrived, it has all gone flaky.
>>
>> Nope, havent had even a single failure of my Samsung hard drives all
>> much bigger than that.
>>> any piece of hardware from before that time has been retired
>>> with minimal failures. Anything after goes out as scrap metal.
>>
>> Pure fantasy.
>
> I'm sure you're old enough to remember all those flakey MFM and IDE
> harddrives. Warranties sucked in those days too so at least in that regard
> hard drives have improved significantly.

Samsung sucks

Roddles never used an amiga or c64!

From: Clocky on
.. wrote:
> On 15/05/2010 3:28 AM, Clocky wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> Nope, havent had even a single failure of my Samsung hard drives all
>>> much bigger than that.
>>>
>>> Pure fantasy.
>>
>> I'm sure you're old enough to remember all those flakey MFM and IDE
>> harddrives. Warranties sucked in those days too so at least in that
>> regard hard drives have improved significantly.
>>

> Samsung sucks

I have little experience with their drives, but if it's anything like their
consumer products then they work well and are well designed but I'm not all
that confident that they will last. I mean their problems with their LCD's
are widespread and comes down to using dodgey caps... a problem that should
have been alleviated by now.

> Roddles never used an amiga or c64!

Bots aren't the creative types ;-)