From: Mike Rofone on
We have a Dell XPS laptop. It's 10 months out of warranty. Two days ago the
motherboard failed. Problem with the onboard GPU.

Rang Dell. It says that it's covered as there are a lot of this model which have
failed. Technician will be coming to my place tomorow to replace the
motherboard.

I was expecting to bin the laptop as I was expecting the cost of repair to be
uneconomical.

Not what I was expecting at all.

From: ^Tems^ on
Mike Rofone wrote:
> We have a Dell XPS laptop. It's 10 months out of warranty. Two days ago the
> motherboard failed. Problem with the onboard GPU.
>
> Rang Dell. It says that it's covered as there are a lot of this model which have
> failed. Technician will be coming to my place tomorow to replace the
> motherboard.
>
> I was expecting to bin the laptop as I was expecting the cost of repair to be
> uneconomical.
>
> Not what I was expecting at all.

Well done to Dell, unlike Sony, DVD/BluRay drive died in the PS3 did
a google search on it, seemed to be a 5-10% of all PS3 thing and read
Sony USA is doing it for free out of warranty, ring Sony Australia we
will fix it for you but it will be $250 upfront.

I said new model is out for $500 let me buy one of them $250 nope cant
do that, xbox here I come.
From: Clocky on
^Tems^ wrote:
> Mike Rofone wrote:
>> We have a Dell XPS laptop. It's 10 months out of warranty. Two days
>> ago the motherboard failed. Problem with the onboard GPU.
>>
>> Rang Dell. It says that it's covered as there are a lot of this
>> model which have failed. Technician will be coming to my place
>> tomorow to replace the motherboard.
>>
>> I was expecting to bin the laptop as I was expecting the cost of
>> repair to be uneconomical.
>>
>> Not what I was expecting at all.
>>

> Well done to Dell, unlike Sony, DVD/BluRay drive died in the PS3 did a
> google search on it, seemed to be a 5-10% of all PS3 thing and
> read Sony USA is doing it for free out of warranty, ring Sony
> Australia we will fix it for you but it will be $250 upfront.
>
> I said new model is out for $500 let me buy one of them $250 nope
> cant do that, xbox here I come.

I'll never buy LG or Sony again.

My Samsung LCD developed a fault in warranty and I have to say their
customer service was excellent.
They were friendly, helpful, communicated well and their service personnel
were punctual.
I was pleasantly surprised actually, it's not often that customer service
is a pleasant experience.

From: Rob on
On 13/05/2010 1:07 AM, Clocky wrote:
> ^Tems^ wrote:
>> Mike Rofone wrote:
>>> We have a Dell XPS laptop. It's 10 months out of warranty. Two days
>>> ago the motherboard failed. Problem with the onboard GPU.
>>>
>>> Rang Dell. It says that it's covered as there are a lot of this
>>> model which have failed. Technician will be coming to my place
>>> tomorow to replace the motherboard.
>>>
>>> I was expecting to bin the laptop as I was expecting the cost of
>>> repair to be uneconomical.
>>>
>>> Not what I was expecting at all.
>>>

>> Well done to Dell, unlike Sony, DVD/BluRay drive died in the PS3 did a
>> google search on it, seemed to be a 5-10% of all PS3 thing and
>> read Sony USA is doing it for free out of warranty, ring Sony
>> Australia we will fix it for you but it will be $250 upfront.
>>
>> I said new model is out for $500 let me buy one of them $250 nope
>> cant do that, xbox here I come.
>
> I'll never buy LG or Sony again.
>
> My Samsung LCD developed a fault in warranty and I have to say their
> customer service was excellent.
> They were friendly, helpful, communicated well and their service personnel
> were punctual.
> I was pleasantly surprised actually, it's not often that customer service
> is a pleasant experience.

Yep never had a warranty problem with Samsung from Microwave, LCD TV
HDD or Monitors.

Has anyone not had a problem with any modern electronic device or
appliance?
From: me here on
Rob wrote:

> On 13/05/2010 1:07 AM, Clocky wrote:
> > ^Tems^ wrote:
> days >>> ago the motherboard failed. Problem with the onboard GPU.

> >> Well done to Dell, unlike Sony, DVD/BluRay drive died in the PS3
> did a >> google search on it, seemed to be a 5-10% of all PS3 thing
> and >> read Sony USA is doing it for free out of warranty, ring Sony
> >> Australia we will fix it for you but it will be $250 upfront.
> > >
> >> I said new model is out for $500 let me buy one of them $250 nope
> >> cant do that, xbox here I come.
> >
> > I'll never buy LG or Sony again.
> >
> > My Samsung LCD developed a fault in warranty and I have to say their
> > customer service was excellent.
> > They were friendly, helpful, communicated well and their service
> > personnel were punctual.
> > I was pleasantly surprised actually, it's not often that customer
> > service is a pleasant experience.
> >

> Yep never had a warranty problem with Samsung from Microwave, LCD TV
> HDD or Monitors.
>
> Has anyone not had a problem with any modern electronic device or
> appliance?

I boought Netcomm (ADSL2+ modem/router) on rave recommendations.

14 months later it died.

Now it appears all that model (NB6+4) cook themeselves to death about
then.

So some of these up front reviews don't work out as well as expected.

It put me off of any more Netcomm.

There seems to be a lot of modern day stuff being flogged with very
short life expectancy, compared to earlier PC stuff.

And this bad CAPs issue seems to still be going on.