From: terryc on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:17:29 +1100, me here wrote:

> I boought Netcomm (ADSL2+ modem/router) on rave recommendations.
>
> 14 months later it died.
>
> Now it appears all that model (NB6+4) cook themeselves to death about
> then.

How old?
Mine is still going. must be 3 years old?

> So some of these up front reviews don't work out as well as expected.

lol, never ever believe a new product review. they got it for free and
will only get more if they write a favourable review.

> It put me off of any more Netcomm.

My Netcomm NB3300 was retired working. so, i've done okay, so far.
From: terryc on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:22:57 +0000, terryc wrote:

> How old?
> Mine is still going. must be 3 years old?

19/01/08, so 2 years going on 3 years {:-).
From: me here on
terryc wrote:

> On Thu, 13 May 2010 08:17:29 +1100, me here wrote:
>

> > I boought Netcomm (ADSL2+ modem/router) on rave recommendations.
> >
> > 14 months later it died.
> >
> > Now it appears all that model (NB6+4) cook themeselves to death
> > about then.
>
> How old?
> Mine is still going. must be 3 years old?
> >
> > So some of these up front reviews don't work out as well as
> > expected.
>
> lol, never ever believe a new product review. they got it for free
> and will only get more if they write a favourable review.
>

> > It put me off of any more Netcomm.
>
> My Netcomm NB3300 was retired working. so, i've done okay, so far.

The current crop run very hot and dry out the capacitors.

14 months is about when they start to pack up if they are on 24/7.

If it's gone three years on 24/7 then you've done well.

The comments regarding LG seem pretty right. LG used to be a good
product years gone by.

Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer unit,
the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid quality feel
about it.

The LG so far has gone OK, but it doesn't get much hard work.
From: Rick on
On 13 May 2010 21:43:33 +1100, "me here" <gloaming_agnet(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>terryc wrote:

....snip...

>Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer unit,
>the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid quality feel
>about it.
>
>The LG so far has gone OK, but it doesn't get much hard work.

One of my DVD burners is an LG and it has burnt well in excess of 600
data DVDs and no signs of quitting yet. A Sony died recently after far
less work. But you're right about the LG feeling flimsy. It almost
seems like you could twist it in half. But hell, it's been good.
From: terryc on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 21:43:33 +1100, me here wrote:

> Now if you compare say an LG DVD burner to an equivalent Pioneer unit,
> the LG is really flimsy whereas the Pioneer has a solid quality feel
> about it.

Frankly, IMO, since 8Gb hard disks arrived, it has all gone flaky. any
piece of hardware from before that time has been retired with minimal
failures. Anything after goes out as scrap metal.