From: Kit on

> That all looks ok. Can you ping or access anything on the local LAN such
as
> the router?

Can ping router & other PC in Windows.

In Linux I cannot ping either the router or the other PC; it just sits there
waiting for a reply, presumably.

dhcpcd running
eth0 is up
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen
100
link/ether 00:04:e2:f3:34:5e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.2/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
inet6 fe80::204:e2ff:fef3:345e/64 scope link

current lease for eth0:
IPADDR=192.168.0.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
HOSTNAME='groundhog'
DNS=192.168.0.1
DHCPSIADDR=0.0.0.0
DHCPCHADDR=00:04:E2:F3:34:5E

From: Alex Monro on
Kit wrote:

>> That all looks ok. Can you ping or access anything on the local LAN such
> as
>> the router?
>
> Can ping router & other PC in Windows.
>
> In Linux I cannot ping either the router or the other PC; it just sits
> there waiting for a reply, presumably.

> dhcpcd running
> eth0 is up
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,NOTRAILERS,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
> qlen 100
> link/ether 00:04:e2:f3:34:5e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> inet 192.168.0.2/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
> inet6 fe80::204:e2ff:fef3:345e/64 scope link
>
> current lease for eth0:
> IPADDR=192.168.0.2
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
> HOSTNAME='groundhog'
> DNS=192.168.0.1
> DHCPSIADDR=0.0.0.0
> DHCPCHADDR=00:04:E2:F3:34:5E

Hmm... I get:

finn:/home/alex # ifstatus eth0
eth0 is up
2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 100
link/ether 00:20:ed:6a:73:b5 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 217.169.30.130/29 brd 217.169.30.135 scope global eth0
inet6 fe80::220:edff:fe6a:73b5/64 scope link
Configured routes for interface eth0:
default 217.169.30.129 - -
Active routes for interface eth0:
217.169.30.128/29 proto kernel scope link src 217.169.30.130
default via 217.169.30.129
0 of 1 configured routes for interface eth0 up

I'm not using DHCP, I stick to static IPs & routing, and I have a public
IP address block. However, I would've thought that you should see your
active routes listed by ifstatus.

When asked about firewall settings, you seemed to reply about the router
firewall - have you checked the SuSEfirewall settings? (YaST -> Security
& Users -> Firewall...) ?

Something you could try is ditching DHCP and setting static addresses
and routing - it appears from your previous post that you have the
routing already. It's not too horrendous if you've only got 2 machines.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK Life is like Windows - the documentation
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is useless, and it crashes horribly
From: Kit on

> When asked about firewall settings, you seemed to reply about the router
> firewall - have you checked the SuSEfirewall settings? (YaST -> Security
> & Users -> Firewall...) ?

I have now turned off the SuSE firewall, and can ping the router, the other
PC on the LAN and myself, and can access the router setup via Konqueror.

Also I can ping www.google.com, www.google.co.uk and www.yahoo.com
for example, and can download the yahoo.com homepage using wget.

However, Konq & Firefox still timeout when trying those URLs.
Knode also times out on this news server.
Haven't tried any other apps yet.

From: dave on
"Kit" <kit(a)newsgroupsonlysopleasedontemail.com> wrote in message
> I have now turned off the SuSE firewall, and can ping the router, the
> other
> PC on the LAN and myself, and can access the router setup via Konqueror.
>
> Also I can ping www.google.com, www.google.co.uk and www.yahoo.com
> for example, and can download the yahoo.com homepage using wget.
>
> However, Konq & Firefox still timeout when trying those URLs.
> Knode also times out on this news server.
> Haven't tried any other apps yet.

Hmm... Proxy or nameserver settings of some sort?

Can you telnet www.yahoo.co.uk 80 and get an open session? If you can, try
typing GET / in and press return. Does stuff come back ok?

Cheers,

Dave.

From: Kit on

> > I have now turned off the SuSE firewall, and can ping the router, the
> > other
> > PC on the LAN and myself, and can access the router setup via Konqueror.
> >
> > Also I can ping www.google.com, www.google.co.uk and www.yahoo.com
> > for example, and can download the yahoo.com homepage using wget.
> >
> > However, Konq & Firefox still timeout when trying those URLs.
> > Knode also times out on this news server.
> > Haven't tried any other apps yet.
>
> Hmm... Proxy or nameserver settings of some sort?
>
> Can you telnet www.yahoo.co.uk 80 and get an open session? If you can, try
> typing GET / in and press return. Does stuff come back ok?

Cannot "telnet www.yahoo.com 80"; it sits there a while, then says "Trying
1.0.0.0..." then times out.

Is it time to read about proxies?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last