From: Kit on
Robert Hull wrote:

> In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sat 24 December 2005 11:24, Kit
> <kit(a)newsgroupsonlysopleasedontemail.com> wrote:
>

>> "Robert Hull" <Robert(a)please.do-not-spam.me.uk> wrote in message

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> ICBW but I don't think that your router is a true nameserver.
>>
>> Still in Windows so haven't tried anything yet, but the router
>> settings contain the following for the ADSL port:
>>
>> Domain Name Server 80.225.248.50
>> 80.225.248.58
>>
>> so is resolv.conf just referring to the router which then has the
>> nameserver information?
>
> I would try putting the nameserver addresses in resolv.conf - this is
> what I have on this machine. I had never considered declaring my router
> to be a nameserver because it is not.
>
> OTOH, my setup resolves names adequately for my needs.

Just booted into Linux, succesfully pinged news.tiscali.co.uk, and now able
to post using Linux/Knode. Now I can try things more easily.

From: Kit on
> I presume that 192.168.0.1 is your router?

Yes

> Also - after dig has returned a correct address does it work i.e. did
telnet
> www.demon.net work after a dig had returned the address but without a
ping?

Either ping or dig alone will then permit a browser and/or telnet
connection.

From: Kit on

> Just booted into Linux, succesfully pinged news.tiscali.co.uk, and now
able
> to post using Linux/Knode. Now I can try things more easily.

Unfortunately the ping effect only lasted a couple of minutes, and then it
was back to no connection.

From: Robert Hull on
In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sat 24 December 2005 20:44, Kit
<kit(a)newsgroupsonlysopleasedontemail.com> wrote:

>> Just booted into Linux, succesfully pinged news.tiscali.co.uk, and
>> now
> able
>> to post using Linux/Knode. Now I can try things more easily.
>>
> Unfortunately the ping effect only lasted a couple of minutes, and
> then it was back to no connection.

Why are you so reluctant to try putting a real nameser ver into the
nameserver entry in your resolv.conf?

What *precisely* do you think that you have to lose by trying this other
than your problem?
--
Robert
Keep the Yule Logs burning !
From: Kit on
Robert Hull wrote:

> In uk.comp.os.linux, on Sat 24 December 2005 20:44, Kit
> <kit(a)newsgroupsonlysopleasedontemail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Just booted into Linux, succesfully pinged news.tiscali.co.uk, and
>>> now
>> able
>>> to post using Linux/Knode. Now I can try things more easily.
>>>
>> Unfortunately the ping effect only lasted a couple of minutes, and
>> then it was back to no connection.
>
> Why are you so reluctant to try putting a real nameser ver into the
> nameserver entry in your resolv.conf?
>
> What *precisely* do you think that you have to lose by trying this other
> than your problem?

Just done it and it seems to work. Initial reluctance because I did not want
to risk messing with something that I am just learning about.

On next bootup the dhcp daemon? will rewrite resolv.conf, so I need to do
something to prevent that, or invoke a script or whatever. Anyway, thanks
and Happy New Year to all those who helped me out on this problem.

Kit

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: AddOn GWK140