From: Ian Rawlings on
On 2005-12-26, Kit <kit(a)newsgroupsonlyyyy.com> wrote:

> On next bootup the dhcp daemon? will rewrite resolv.conf, so I need to do
> something to prevent that, or invoke a script or whatever.

The DHCP client daemon I use has a setting to prevent it overwriting
various files, including resolv.conf, check the man page for your
daemon and figure out how to set your distro up to include that
parameter on startup.

From: Alex Monro on
Ian Rawlings wrote:

> On 2005-12-26, Kit <kit(a)newsgroupsonlyyyy.com> wrote:
>
>> On next bootup the dhcp daemon? will rewrite resolv.conf, so I need to do
>> something to prevent that, or invoke a script or whatever.
>
> The DHCP client daemon I use has a setting to prevent it overwriting
> various files, including resolv.conf, check the man page for your
> daemon and figure out how to set your distro up to include that
> parameter on startup.

Alternatively, you might consider turning DHCP off completely, and going
for a fully static setup - it's what I usually do on a small network
(< half a dozen hosts). The only drawnack might be if you tend to have
visiting laptops set up for DHCP, but personally I find static config a
lot simple - _you_ are in control, not some smartarse box tha can (as in
this case) fsck things up good & propper.

Put your machines into /etc/hosts on the Linux boxen, and uncheck the
"find address automatically" (the name changes with windows version) on
the windows machines, and fill in the windows hosts file (though windows
will probably use NetBIOS for file & print sharing, which IIRC doesn't
use hosts - if you have windows file & print sharing, it might be an
idea to use the router firewall to block ports 135 - 139 & 445.)

Having said that, I have configured networks with router DHCP before and
never had this type of problem. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier.

I'm going to be away from posting facilities until the New Year, so I'll
wish Happy New Year to everyone now.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK Life is like Windows - the documentation
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is useless, and it crashes horribly
From: dave on

"Kit" <kit(a)newsgroupsonlyyyy.com> wrote in message
> Robert Hull wrote:

>>> able
>>>>
>>> Unfortunately the ping effect only lasted a couple of minutes, and
>>> then it was back to no connection.
>>
>> Why are you so reluctant to try putting a real nameser ver into the
>> nameserver entry in your resolv.conf?
>>
>> What *precisely* do you think that you have to lose by trying this other
>> than your problem?
>
> Just done it and it seems to work. Initial reluctance because I did not
> want
> to risk messing with something that I am just learning about.
>
> On next bootup the dhcp daemon? will rewrite resolv.conf, so I need to do
> something to prevent that, or invoke a script or whatever. Anyway, thanks
> and Happy New Year to all those who helped me out on this problem.
>
> Kit

Kit,

Sorry - I've been away over the new year.

Is this still a problem?

Cheers,

Dave.

First  |  Prev  |