From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:04:46 -0800, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-02-09 11:36:55 -0800, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> said:
>
>> In article <edWdnTLZJMvSMezWnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>,
>> no(a)email.com says...
>>> Who set the Euro pricing??? With the USD at 61% of the UKP that is just
>>> crazy.
>>
>> Japanese and Americans seem to think that Europeans are stupid.
>
>Either that or their own tax-hungry governments think they are. America
>has no VAT.

Not by that name, but the concept of adding a tax to the purchase of
goods and services is certainly practiced here. Our states are just
as tax-hungry as any other government entity.

One of the major differences is that advertised prices in the UK
include VAT, but advertised prices in the US do not include sales tax.
They may include a notation that sales tax will be added, but not an
amount.

While visitors to the US often object to this because they feel the
advertising falsely represents the actual price to be paid, there is a
good reason for stating the pre-tax price. If Best Buy (a chain of
stores) advertises a camera for $100, the final price will be $106 if
the purchase is made in Orange County (FL) or $107 if the purchase is
made in Seminole County (FL) due to local option tax rates. If the
camera is purchased by a hospital or other exempt entity, the final
price is $100. The stores involved may be equidistant from the
customer's home.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-09 14:12:21 -0800, J�rgen Exner <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> said:

> C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Either that or their own tax-hungry governments think they are. America
>> has no VAT.
>
> 1: Canada does have VAT, it is called "Goods and Services Tax". Don't
> know about other countries in America.
> 2: I am quite certain I prefer a flat simple straightforward VAT over
> the impenetrable jungle of local, state, county and other sales taxes
> that are slapped on in the US and sometimes vary just across the street.
> 3: Not to mention that VAT is refundable upon export of the good while
> sales tax is not.
>
> jue

If you like this oppressive, extremely regressive tax, fine with me.
I'll give it a pass, thank you. And don't complain to me about how your
stuff costs more.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Bill Graham on

"C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2010-02-09 11:36:55 -0800, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> said:
>
>> In article <edWdnTLZJMvSMezWnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>,
>> no(a)email.com says...
>>> Who set the Euro pricing??? With the USD at 61% of the UKP that is just
>>> crazy.
>>
>> Japanese and Americans seem to think that Europeans are stupid.
>
> Either that or their own tax-hungry governments think they are. America
> has no VAT.

As of February, 2010.....But just give Obama a little more time.....He's got
a nice VAT on the drawing boards right now.......

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-09 10:30:18 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:

> Nikon has announced the following new lenses:
>
> AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
> Full frame (FX) format, image stabilised wide angle zoom lens.
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020902nikon16mm35mm.asp
> US $ 1259.95
> Euro 1199.00
> GBP 1049.99

This thing is going to be one of the most popular lenses Nikon has ever made.

> AF-S Nikkor 24mm F/1.4G ED
> Full frame (FX) format, ultra-fast wide angle fixed focal length lens.
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10020901nikon24mmf14.asp
> US $ 2199.95
> Euro 2149.00
> GBP 1949.99

You know, the more I think about this second lens...

It is being pitched to the photojournalism community -- a big, heavy
fixed focus lens. Okay, I guess. Personally, I see the PJs buying up so
many of the f/4 16-35 that it will be on backorder for years. But not
this 24mm tank.

Some also say that landscape photographers really want a lens that can
do a shallow DOF and has good bokeh. Yep, that slapping sound is the
sound of millions of f/64 types doing face palms. They don't want good
bokeh! They want the whole picture to be sharp!

I predict this lens will sell by the dozens.

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-09 14:21:54 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:04:46 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-02-09 11:36:55 -0800, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> said:
>>
>>> In article <edWdnTLZJMvSMezWnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>,
>>> no(a)email.com says...
>>>
>>> Japanese and Americans seem to think that Europeans are stupid.
>>
>> Either that or their own tax-hungry governments think they are. America
>> has no VAT.
>
> Not by that name, but the concept of adding a tax to the purchase of
> goods and services is certainly practiced here. Our states are just
> as tax-hungry as any other government entity.

Yes, but it is not reflected in the price of the lens. As you go on to
point out very clearly.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor