From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:03:46 -0500, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>
>> A New York State resident is required to pay the difference in sales tax
>> to New York for any item purchased out-of-state. If I buy a camera from a
>> reseller in another state online, they do not charge me the sales tax. I
>> am required by law to pay New York the difference.
>
>You are required to make such a declaraton on your New York Income tax
>return. BTW some retailers such as Amazon, do collect the NY sales tax.

The general rule is if the seller has a presence (store, outlet,
office) in the state, they must charge sales tax, where applicable, to
sales made to residents of that state.

Ritz Camera gets around that by having their stores in Florida owned
by one corporation and their online sales entity owned by a different
corporation.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-02-11 06:38:53 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:54:21 -0500, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> How you doing on Homeowner's Insurance? I've been with State Farm for
>>> the 28 years I've been in this house (and also with them on my
>>> previous homes). State Farm has announced a 15% increase for this
>>> next year (starting March 15, for me) and they are petitioning the
>>> legislature for considerably larger increases in the future. They are
>>> also trying to pull out of Florida because of hurricane losses.
>>>
>>> I've got bids from four other insurers, and all of them value my home
>>> at least double what I could sell it for. The rates are based on the
>>> replacement cost and not what the house would bring on the market.
>>>

>> Are they including land in replacement cost?
>
> No. It's clear on all the bids that the land is valued separately. I
> was amazed, in fact, that the land was valued as high as it is
> compared to what I paid for the lots on which the home sits.

....and there is the problem for those Californians and Carolina beach
house owners, who live in on risky property. When that hill side, or
cliff home with the million $$$ view slides into the ocean, or into the
next neighborhood, there is no property to rebuild on. Hence the high
premiums or lack of special coverage on those homes.

In California you also have to deal with the Coastal Commission, which
has banned the construction or repair of protective sea walls and/or
buttresses for those cilff top homes, We have quite a few homes in the
Shell Beach & Pismo Beach areas, where the edge of the cliff is eroding
at a steady rate, eating up the real estate, and threatening and
sometimes destroying the homes.

The rebuilding of those beach houses destroyed by hurricane beach
erosion back East is another issue which can leave you scratching your
head.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:28:54 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

>Sounds like you are confusing her with Obama. He never had to make a hard
>decision in any facet of his career before becoming president. At least
>Palin has experience running something.

Running away from running something is a better description. With
Palin as President, she'd lose interest in the job if things didn't
go her way and find some other bright and shiny object to play with.

To me, she's like the Bearded Lady in the carnival sideshow...people
will pay to see her, but nobody wants to take her home.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:59:24 -0500, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:54:21 -0500, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>Are they including land in replacement cost?
>>
>> No. It's clear on all the bids that the land is valued separately. I
>> was amazed, in fact, that the land was valued as high as it is
>> compared to what I paid for the lots on which the home sits.
>>

>It's not uncommon to purchase perfectly good homes, especially waterfront
>property, tear them down and build a totally new structure. That's why I
>think something does not sound right. Can't put my finger on it though.

I'm not on the water, but my house is on a golf course (originally
built in 1926) and faces one of the tees. It's a mixed area with some
homes built there many decades ago, and some built recently. It's not
a sub-division built by one builder; it's all custom homes.

Not recently, due to the housing market, but people were buying the
older one-story, flat-roofed houses and tearing down all but one wall
and re-building. The one wall was left up to qualify as a "remodel"
and avoid the new house impact fees.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-11 05:57:43 -0800, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> said:

> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 2010-02-09 11:36:55 -0800, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> said:
>>
>>> In article <edWdnTLZJMvSMezWnZ2dnUVZ_u6dnZ2d(a)westnet.com.au>,
>>> no(a)email.com says...
>>>
>>> Japanese and Americans seem to think that Europeans are stupid.
>>
>> Either that or their own tax-hungry governments think they are. America
>> has no VAT.
>
> So what are these taxes that USains have to pay ?

The US has method of its own for milking the stupid. Why have a VAT, too?

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: Problem solved:
Next: ARGUS - DARPA's All-Seeing Eye