From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:30 -0500, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>

>> While visitors to the US often object to this because they feel the
>> advertising falsely represents the actual price to be paid, there is a
>> good reason for stating the pre-tax price. If Best Buy (a chain of
>> stores) advertises a camera for $100, the final price will be $106 if
>> the purchase is made in Orange County (FL) or $107 if the purchase is
>> made in Seminole County (FL) due to local option tax rates. If the
>> camera is purchased by a hospital or other exempt entity, the final
>> price is $100. The stores involved may be equidistant from the
>> customer's home.
>>

>True, but under most jurisdictions, if you make a purchase in a lower tax
>jurisdiction than where it will be used, technically you may, depending on
>the item, owe the using jurisdiction the difference. There are serious
>enforcement issues. For real dollar differences think automobiles and
>recreational boats.

I've never heard of any enforcement in that area, and the Florida
Department of Revenue is the pit bull of tax collectors.

In Florida, the sales tax on an automobile or boat is based on the
address of the person registering it. If I register a car at an
Orange County tax office, I pay the rate based on my Seminole County
address. The Seminole County rate is 1% higher than Orange County.
If I buy a new car, and the dealer handles the registration, the rate
is based on my address and not the dealer's address.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:54:21 -0500, "Peter"
<peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 19:12:40 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I knew there was going to be a problem when I had lenders lined up
>>>telling me my home, which I bought in 1993 for $125K was valued at over
>>>$400K and I should benefit from some of that equity.
>>
>> How you doing on Homeowner's Insurance? I've been with State Farm for
>> the 28 years I've been in this house (and also with them on my
>> previous homes). State Farm has announced a 15% increase for this
>> next year (starting March 15, for me) and they are petitioning the
>> legislature for considerably larger increases in the future. They are
>> also trying to pull out of Florida because of hurricane losses.
>>
>> I've got bids from four other insurers, and all of them value my home
>> at least double what I could sell it for. The rates are based on the
>> replacement cost and not what the house would bring on the market.
>>

>Are they including land in replacement cost?

No. It's clear on all the bids that the land is valued separately. I
was amazed, in fact, that the land was valued as high as it is
compared to what I paid for the lots on which the home sits.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Peter on
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:30 -0500, "Peter"
> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>

>>> While visitors to the US often object to this because they feel the
>>> advertising falsely represents the actual price to be paid, there is a
>>> good reason for stating the pre-tax price. If Best Buy (a chain of
>>> stores) advertises a camera for $100, the final price will be $106 if
>>> the purchase is made in Orange County (FL) or $107 if the purchase is
>>> made in Seminole County (FL) due to local option tax rates. If the
>>> camera is purchased by a hospital or other exempt entity, the final
>>> price is $100. The stores involved may be equidistant from the
>>> customer's home.
>>>

>>True, but under most jurisdictions, if you make a purchase in a lower tax
>>jurisdiction than where it will be used, technically you may, depending on
>>the item, owe the using jurisdiction the difference. There are serious
>>enforcement issues. For real dollar differences think automobiles and
>>recreational boats.
>
> I've never heard of any enforcement in that area, and the Florida
> Department of Revenue is the pit bull of tax collectors.
>
> In Florida, the sales tax on an automobile or boat is based on the
> address of the person registering it. If I register a car at an
> Orange County tax office, I pay the rate based on my Seminole County
> address. The Seminole County rate is 1% higher than Orange County.
> If I buy a new car, and the dealer handles the registration, the rate
> is based on my address and not the dealer's address.

Let's start with boats.
If I purchase a boat in Delaware through a Delaware corporation and register
the boat in Delaware, I will have no sale tax to pay. If I visit FL, with
the boat I will not pay a use tax in FL. However, If I dock it there
permanently the Delaware corporation will be subject to he use tax on the
boat. There is some grace period, but I am not certain what it is.
A similar rule applies to automobiles.
At one time our NY Tax department was actually going to marinas and checking
registrations. Many New York boat dealers were falsely showing delivery in
Delaware. The case was ultimately settled.
Technically FL could do the same thing, but the trip from DE to FL is a lot
longer than the trip from DE to NY. Also, DE has little interest in
cooperating in a joint investigation.

As to cars? Are there no out of state cars in FL?

One area where the enforcement issue has been made workable is with
racehorses.

--
Peter

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:30 -0500, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>True, but under most jurisdictions, if you make a purchase in a lower tax
>>>jurisdiction than where it will be used, technically you may, depending
>>>on
>>>the item, owe the using jurisdiction the difference. There are serious
>>>enforcement issues. For real dollar differences think automobiles and
>>>recreational boats.
>>
>> I've never heard of any enforcement in that area, and the Florida
>> Department of Revenue is the pit bull of tax collectors.
>>
>> In Florida, the sales tax on an automobile or boat is based on the
>> address of the person registering it. If I register a car at an
>> Orange County tax office, I pay the rate based on my Seminole County
>> address. The Seminole County rate is 1% higher than Orange County.
>> If I buy a new car, and the dealer handles the registration, the rate
>> is based on my address and not the dealer's address.
>>

> Let's start with boats.
> If I purchase a boat in Delaware through a Delaware corporation and
> register the boat in Delaware, I will have no sale tax to pay. If I visit
> FL, with the boat I will not pay a use tax in FL. However, If I dock it
> there permanently the Delaware corporation will be subject to he use tax
> on the boat. There is some grace period, but I am not certain what it is.
> A similar rule applies to automobiles.
> At one time our NY Tax department was actually going to marinas and
> checking registrations. Many New York boat dealers were falsely showing
> delivery in Delaware. The case was ultimately settled.
> Technically FL could do the same thing, but the trip from DE to FL is a
> lot longer than the trip from DE to NY. Also, DE has little interest in
> cooperating in a joint investigation.
>
> As to cars? Are there no out of state cars in FL?
>
> One area where the enforcement issue has been made workable is with
> racehorses.
>

> --
> Peter

A New York State resident is required to pay the difference in sales tax to
New York for any item purchased out-of-state. If I buy a camera from a
reseller in another state online, they do not charge me the sales tax. I am
required by law to pay New York the difference.

There was an infamous occurance years ago when Ikea opened a store in New
Jersey, not far from NYC. Ikea advertised in MYC for the new store, noting
that the sales tax in New Jersey was much lower and the New Yorkers could
therefore save money. New York State sent tax authorities to the store in
New Jersey to surevey the parking lot. Any car with a New York licens plate
was pasted with a warning that they owe the difference in tax to New York
and that they better pay. This was akin to the state of spying on its
residents.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message

>>> I think not. She will be a fine news commentator -- meaning she will be
>>> good for Fox's ratings. But she is regarded as poison by both parties.
>>> Her image would need considerable rehabilitation to make her a viable
>>> candidate for pretty much anything.
>>>
>>> I am sure that there are politicians who have a clear sense of
>>> responsibility to the Republic and who are not hostage to the extremists
>>> of their party. I am also sure that no one like that has a snowball's
>>> chance in Hades of getting elected president. Apparently, being a
>>> certifiable nutcase is prerequisite for the job. Okay. So Palin to the
>>> rescue, then.
>>>
>> Nutcase or not, if she does nothing but stop those presses from printing
>> money, I'll vote for her.......
>

> You are even more scary than I thought.
>
> --
> Peter

I'll take her over the current mistake in the White House in a heartbeat.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Prev: Problem solved:
Next: ARGUS - DARPA's All-Seeing Eye