From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> If you owned a marina, would you want your customers harassed by state
> officials looking for violators? If you were a state official,
> though, a word to the marina owner to either report violations or be
> subject to repeated visits could make it to your interest to
> self-report.

Here, the Tax Department harassed the marinas and collected information
about vessels docked that did not have NY registration.

>>As to the marine patrol, it depends on the use and registration
>>of the vessel. Why would not e Coast Guard registration be sufficient as a
>>vessel used n interstate commerce.
>>For purposes of this discussion I am referring only to ordinary pleasure
>>craft. There is a wholly different set of rules for commercial boats.
>
> The "marine patrol" in Florida is the Florida Fish and Wildlife
> Commission. They inspect private watercraft for safety regulation
> compliance, licenses, violations of fishing laws, boating operation,
> and boating in restricted zones
>
> Any private boater in Florida can expect to be stopped by the marine
> patrol at some time if even for a safety inspection.

Same thing here. Any vessel can be stopped by any one of several enforcement
organizations.

>>> If you are using your boat in Florida while visiting Florida, you can
>>> do so for 90 days without registering it. Longer than that, you must
>>> register it.
>>>
>>Suppose I take weekly trips to Bimini and stay there for a few days. Do I
>>have an obligation to pay the use tax?
>
> What's Bimini have to do with it? Florida hasn't annexed Bimini.
> What pertains is where you dock your boat between trips and where you
> have your primary residence. Where you go when you are on the water
> is irrelevant in this case.

I dock my boat in Bimini for 30 days, FL for 10 days, well under the 60 day
requirement, then in Bmini for 200 days and FL for 59 days. I then come back
into FL for supplies and go back to, wherever.

BTW the real incentive for the marina to report the boats is the expectation
of getting a pass on their own sales tax violations. Yes, that does happen
and more often than most think.
Unlike criminal law, if there is any rational basis for the tax department's
determination the taxpayer now has the burden of proving the department
wrong. This is a very difficult burden.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

> And I have. I'd say that 99% of the people who purchase items on the
> internet are guilty of evading sales tax if they live in a state that
> imposes sales tax.
>
> Criminal, though? I don't know. If caught, you might be required to
> pay the tax, interest, and a fine...but I doubt if criminal charges
> would be brought.

Don't know the statistics. However, that is why the question is being asked
on our income tax returns. Making a knowingly false statement on an income
tax return is a crime. As to enforcement, that sometimes depends on what
else is on the return.

--
Peter

From: Lucas on

"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> schreef in bericht
> On 2010-02-11 09:00:34 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> said:
>
>> On 2010-02-11 05:57:43 -0800, "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear>
>> said:
>>

>>> "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message

>>> So what are these taxes that USains have to pay ?
>>
>> The US has method of its own for milking the stupid. Why have a VAT, too?
>
> The problem in the US is sales tax is a State tax, and in some cases has
> County and/or city enhancements. If the Federal government should impose a
> VAT as it is implemented in the EU or UK, there would have to be major
> rewrites of every State tax code.
>
> Bringing a VAT into the mix, could well have the product sitting on the
> store shelf tagged with a Federal VAT, and a State sales tax added at
> checkout. Replacing State sales tax with a Federal VAT, would entail
> building another bureaucracy for assessing, collecting and distributing
> those revenues.
>
> ...and since VAT is a "value added tax" an imported item arriving a port
> of entry would have the taxed "added value" of the freight costs to move
> it from port of entry to point of distribution or sale. That would also
> apply to the cost of transport on domestic products. That could be
> considerable for some landlocked states. That is unless transport is given
> a VAT exemption
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Just for your information: the EU does NOT impose VAT, that is the reserved
right of each member country (until now that is...).
However, there are some EU-regulations regarding VAT, but, as far as I know,
there are no 2 EU member countries that have the same VAT regulations.
There can be several tariffs, over here we have 0% (e.g. medical
products/services); 6% (essentials, e.g. food); and 19% (luxury products).
Only 10 km's from my place, in another counRty (we don't have counties
US-style), you have 0%, 6%, 12% and 21%. Denmark and Sweden even have 25%.
(Same as Norway, but that is not a EU-member.)
And we have about 30 different countries... take your pick...
And, be advised, you will be milked dry: 40 years ago, when VAT was
introduced, over here we had only 4% and 12%.
Funny thing is, when (as a customer/end-user!) you buy a product in any
EU-country, you can freely bring it to any other EU-country without having
to pay extra VAT (or, for that matter, get any VAT-return), that was the
basis of establishing the EU: free traffic of goods and services.
Mind you we have plenty of other taxes and excises, people with an average
income pay roughly 65% of their gross income to all kinds of different
taxes.

....and yes, we do complain ;-)

BTW (pun: BTW is Dutch for VAT), OK, BTW: shall we go back tot talking
photo/equipment?

L.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:03:46 -0500, "Peter"
>> <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message

>>>You are required to make such a declaraton on your New York Income tax
>>>return. BTW some retailers such as Amazon, do collect the NY sales tax.
>>
>> The general rule is if the seller has a presence (store, outlet,
>> office) in the state, they must charge sales tax, where applicable, to
>> sales made to residents of that state.
>>
>> Ritz Camera gets around that by having their stores in Florida owned
>> by one corporation and their online sales entity owned by a different
>> corporation.
>>

> AFAIK Amazon has no presence in NY. Our tax authorities are proactively
> attempting to encourage online retailers to collect and turn over the
> sales tax. For several years there have been ongoing negotiations between
> the various States for an inter-state compact, regarding collection of
> sales taxes. There are lots of constitutional and business difficulties
> with such a compact. (most states have lots of problems being paid sales
> taxes collected by their resident businesses.) Though some inter-state
> compacts have been working well, at least in the income tax area.

New York's logic was that if a New York State resident while in New York
could "click-through" to a website, then that is akin to having a physical
prescence (or some logic of the sort). This would apply to any out-of-state
reseller but thus far, NY is going after the big ones like Amazon and
Buy.com.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> You are even more scary than I thought.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>
>> I'll take her over the current mistake in the White House in a heartbeat.
>

> Even though she has no ability to think. Yes, she is an excellent public
> speaker. Excellent public speakers have caused the deaths of millions.
>
> --
> Peter

I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
teleprompter and he's lost for words.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Prev: Problem solved:
Next: ARGUS - DARPA's All-Seeing Eye