From: Ray Fischer on
Pete Stavrakoglou <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 10:28:54 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Sounds like you are confusing her with Obama. He never had to make a hard
>>>decision in any facet of his career before becoming president. At least
>>>Palin has experience running something.
>>
>> Running away from running something is a better description. With
>> Palin as President, she'd lose interest in the job if things didn't
>> go her way and find some other bright and shiny object to play with.
>>
>> To me, she's like the Bearded Lady in the carnival sideshow...people
>> will pay to see her, but nobody wants to take her home.
>
>She may not be the best choice and is certainly not my first or even second
>but if it is between her and Obama, there is no contest. I'll take her in
>an instant over Obama.

You really are astonishingly stupid.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> The general rule is if the seller has a presence (store, outlet,
>>> office) in the state, they must charge sales tax, where applicable, to
>>> sales made to residents of that state.
>>>
>>> Ritz Camera gets around that by having their stores in Florida owned
>>> by one corporation and their online sales entity owned by a different
>>> corporation.
>>>

>> AFAIK Amazon has no presence in NY. Our tax authorities are proactively
>> attempting to encourage online retailers to collect and turn over the
>> sales tax. For several years there have been ongoing negotiations between
>> the various States for an inter-state compact, regarding collection of
>> sales taxes. There are lots of constitutional and business difficulties
>> with such a compact. (most states have lots of problems being paid sales
>> taxes collected by their resident businesses.) Though some inter-state
>> compacts have been working well, at least in the income tax area.
>>
> Sales taxes represent double taxation, and should be declared
> unconstitutional. Anyone with an ounce of feeling about what's right and
> fair would know this, and fight any and all sales taxes. I fought them for
> years by living in California and buying everything either on line, or
> going to Oregon and buying it. I registered all my vehicles up here in
> Oregon for many years before I retired and actually moved up here. Now the
> idiot liberals are talking about replacing the income tax with a National
> Sales Tax. What a boon to the lawyers that would be......another 100 years
> of tax litigation handed to them on a silver (no pun intended) platter!
> Throw out the form 1040 and do it all over again! Even I would vote for
> such a thing on the off chance that there's an afterlife so I could laugh
> for another 100 years........

There's something to be said about a natianal sales tax, in spite of the
idiot liberals. A national sales tax will eliminate the underground money.
Hiding income from the IRS will be moot. When you spend money, whether
ill-gotten or legitimately earned, the sales tax is applied to whatever you
buy.

The problem with a national sales tax is that it will not elimiate the
income tax. There is no way the federal income tax will ever be eliminated
because the federal government uses the tax code for political reason and
they won't be able to do so with a national sales tax. All they'll wind up
doing is adding a national sales tax in addition to the income tax.

A somewhat similar concept is bandied around from time-to-time on Long
Island. Here, we pay exhorbitant property taxes. To give you an example, I
bought my home for $ 300,000 and my property taxes have now topped $ 11,000
per year and they just go up every year. 2/3 of that amount is the school
tax. People can't afford it anymore. Property owners pay the taxes. In
some communities, particularly where illegal immigrants live, there are
single-family homes that are rented to multiple families. There may be ten
kids living in the home. Those kids have to be educated, illegal or not.
Juxtapose that with a single family living in a home with two kids. Both
homes in the same community pay the same property tax yet one home has ten
kids in it going to school. This puts a tremendous tax burden on the
homeowners. So, a solution bandies around is to impose an income tax to pay
for the school taxes. However, the income tax will not replace the property
tax, it will be in addition to the property tax. This will keep property
taxes from rising and it will also get people who don't own property yet
have kids in school to also pay as long as they earn an income. It will
also keep property taxes from rising and will help the retirees from being
forced to move because their property taxes are too high. The problem for
working people who are fairly successful is that the additional income tax
imposed will be more than their property taxes would increase. School's
have an insatiable appetite for our money just like our government does.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:32:37 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> Running away from running something is a better description. With
>>> Palin as President, she'd lose interest in the job if things didn't
>>> go her way and find some other bright and shiny object to play with.
>>>
>>> To me, she's like the Bearded Lady in the carnival sideshow...people
>>> will pay to see her, but nobody wants to take her home.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>>
>>She may not be the best choice and is certainly not my first or even
>>second
>>but if it is between her and Obama, there is no contest. I'll take her in
>>an instant over Obama.
>>
> It seems to me that one of the biggest hurdles any modern-day
> President has is to effectively work with Congress by retaining the
> support of his/her own party members and securing at least some
> support of the opposing party's members.
>
> Obama has not been particularly effective in this, but Palin would not
> be at all effective in this. IMO.
> --
> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

It's the policy differences that matter more to me. The differences between
Palin and Obama are like night and day.

From: Pete Stavrakoglou on
> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:31:05 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
>>teleprompter and he's lost for words.
>
> Whereas Palin had to write "Hi, I'm Sara Palin" on the palm of her
> hand to ensure at least one cogent point in an interview.
>
> The teleprompter thing is a red herring, though. The use of the
> teleprompter has to do with being able to recite a previously prepared
> speech without stumbling. The thinking goes into writing the speech
> that is prepared and then projected onto the teleprompter.

Who writes the speeches? That thinking is left to a speech writer. It's no
red herring, the man is lost without it.

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 07:34:12 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
<ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:

>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:31:05 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
>>>teleprompter and he's lost for words.
>>
>> Whereas Palin had to write "Hi, I'm Sara Palin" on the palm of her
>> hand to ensure at least one cogent point in an interview.
>>
>> The teleprompter thing is a red herring, though. The use of the
>> teleprompter has to do with being able to recite a previously prepared
>> speech without stumbling. The thinking goes into writing the speech
>> that is prepared and then projected onto the teleprompter.
>
>Who writes the speeches?

The President has one or more speech writers on his staff just as all
modern-day Presidents have. Well-known former Presidential speech
writers include Ted Sorenson and Arthur Schlesinger Jr (JFK), Pat
Buchanan, William Safire, and Ben Stein (Nixon), Tony Snow (GHW Bush),
and Jon Favreau (Obama). The speech may be outlined by the President
and finished by the speechwriter.

>That thinking is left to a speech writer.

Possibly so in the case of President George W. Bush, but other
Presidents have been capable of coherent thinking. Bush relied on
Marc Thiessen to do the thinking.

>It's no red herring, the man is lost without it.

He does well with extemporaneous speaking.

Bush, however, was lost with or without a teleprompter.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida