From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-11 23:39:37 -0800, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

> "J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>> [...]
>>> If you like this oppressive, extremely regressive tax, fine with me.
>>
>> ???
>> You see me mystified and scratching my head.
>>
>> How is a system that charges exactly the same percentage from
>> everyone[*] regressive, or even worse "extremely regressive", in
>> absolute terms?
>> And how is it more regressive in relative terms (if that's what you
>> meant) than sales tax where rich cities, which are rich because rich
>> people are living there, don't leverage sales tax while poor cities have
>> no other choice?
>>
>> *: In reality there are typically 3 or 4 different levels of VAT, none
>> or reduced for basic needs like e.g. food, standard, and high for luxury
>> items, thus actually making it a rather progressive tax because
>> low-income people are unlikely to buy large amounts of the high-taxed
>> luxury items.
>>
>> jue
>
> And wouldn't Bill Gates love a sales tax......He wouldn't spend any
> more than he does now, but his investments would make billions of
> dollars every year, and it would all be tax free., Talk about a
> regressive tax system.....

You know, I don't know where people get this caricature of Bill Gates
being a greedy, selfish moneybags. We are talking about a guy who
retired from Microsoft a long time ago to devote his life to
humanitarian causes, including the eradication of malaria, building
high schools, agricultural development, health care and nutrition,
among other things.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Pete Stavrakoglou <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:32:37 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>She may not be the best choice and is certainly not my first or even
>>>second
>>>but if it is between her and Obama, there is no contest. I'll take her in
>>>an instant over Obama.
>>>
>> It seems to me that one of the biggest hurdles any modern-day
>> President has is to effectively work with Congress by retaining the
>> support of his/her own party members and securing at least some
>> support of the opposing party's members.
>>
>> Obama has not been particularly effective in this, but Palin would not
>> be at all effective in this. IMO.
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

> It's the policy differences that matter more to me. The differences between
> Palin and Obama are like night and day.

Palin has policies? I thought it was attitudes that Palin had?

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Ray Fischer on
C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>You know, I don't know where people get this caricature of Bill Gates
>being a greedy, selfish moneybags.

To some degree nearly every corporate CEO is a greedy, selfish
moneybag. It's nearly a job requirement.

> We are talking about a guy who
>retired from Microsoft a long time ago to devote his life to
>humanitarian causes, including the eradication of malaria, building
>high schools, agricultural development, health care and nutrition,
>among other things.

Give me $40,000,000,000 and I'll do the same. I'll even promise to
give away 99.99% of the money and keep only 0.01% for myself.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Pete Stavrakoglou <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:31:05 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
>>>teleprompter and he's lost for words.
>>
>> Whereas Palin had to write "Hi, I'm Sara Palin" on the palm of her
>> hand to ensure at least one cogent point in an interview.
>>
>> The teleprompter thing is a red herring, though. The use of the
>> teleprompter has to do with being able to recite a previously prepared
>> speech without stumbling. The thinking goes into writing the speech
>> that is prepared and then projected onto the teleprompter.
>
>Who writes the speeches? That thinking is left to a speech writer. It's no
>red herring, the man is lost without it.

Given that Obama has spoken impromptu on many occasions and
demonstrated that he is quite capable it is obvious that you're just a
bitter bigot and a liar

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-11 13:10:40 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:40:46 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> ...and since VAT is a "value added tax" an imported item arriving a
>> port of entry would have the taxed "added value" of the freight costs
>> to move it from port of entry to point of distribution or sale. That
>> would also apply to the cost of transport on domestic products. That
>> could be considerable for some landlocked states. That is unless
>> transport is given a VAT exemption
>

> Wrong, because the consumer pays VAT only once, at the point of sale.
> All the VAT that was charged on any intermediate expense, including
> transport, is reclaimed by the retailer of the product or service.
>
> Otherwise, the consumer would be paying tax on tax, and that doesn't
> happen.

It sure happens in the US. We have all kinds of taxes on our taxes,
including paying sales tax on items that already have been taxed for
their labor, business and occupation, and various excise taxes. We pay
alternative minimum tax, which really is an income tax on our income
taxes. At various times we have had income tax surtaxes, where you
compute your income tax then add a percentage.