From: Bruce on
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:16:29 -0800, C J Campbell
<christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-02-11 13:10:40 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:40:46 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>> ...and since VAT is a "value added tax" an imported item arriving a
>>> port of entry would have the taxed "added value" of the freight costs
>>> to move it from port of entry to point of distribution or sale. That
>>> would also apply to the cost of transport on domestic products. That
>>> could be considerable for some landlocked states. That is unless
>>> transport is given a VAT exemption
>>

>> Wrong, because the consumer pays VAT only once, at the point of sale.
>> All the VAT that was charged on any intermediate expense, including
>> transport, is reclaimed by the retailer of the product or service.
>>
>> Otherwise, the consumer would be paying tax on tax, and that doesn't
>> happen.
>
>It sure happens in the US. We have all kinds of taxes on our taxes,
>including paying sales tax on items that already have been taxed for
>their labor, business and occupation, and various excise taxes.

VAT would put a stop to that.

From: Peter on
"Ray Fischer" <rfischer(a)sonic.net> wrote in message
>C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>>You know, I don't know where people get this caricature of Bill Gates
>>being a greedy, selfish moneybags.
>
> To some degree nearly every corporate CEO is a greedy, selfish
> moneybag. It's nearly a job requirement.

You obviously refuse to recognize the responsibility of a CEO, regardless of
the size of the corporation. When you open up in the morning and realize
that x number of people are looking to you for guidance and depend on your
skills to prevent starvation, or to promote a reasonable life style, you
should recognize that you have an awesome responsibility. Sure, some are
greedy turds, but they are in the minority.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Otherwise, the consumer would be paying tax on tax, and that doesn't
>> happen.
>>
> It doesn't? Have you ever heard of a place called, "California"?
>
> First, you pay a federal income tax. Then you pay a state income tax on
> the same money you made and just paid a fed. income tax on. Then, you pay
> an annual house tax, and an annual tax on all your vehicles and boats.
> Then, when you go to the store and spend what little money you have left
> over, (assuming that you have any left over) you have to pay a sales tax
> on everything you buy, including the fast food, or any processed food
> whatsoever, and anything some state clerk decided is not healthy for you
> to eat, own, or smoke....:^) And I haven't even mentioned all the
> licensing fees you might have to pay for your cats, dogs, bicycles and
> etc.......

And your comment shows your ignorance, or deliberate misrepresentation of
our tax structure. You also ignore the legitimate social needs that must be
paid for. Your F--key 'em, let them starve attitude is nothing short of
selfish arrogance. Since we have had this discussion before, I will probably
not respond further, so take you best shot.

--
Peter

From: Peter on
"Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:32:37 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>>She may not be the best choice and is certainly not my first or even
>>>second
>>>but if it is between her and Obama, there is no contest. I'll take her
>>>in
>>>an instant over Obama.
>>>
>> It seems to me that one of the biggest hurdles any modern-day
>> President has is to effectively work with Congress by retaining the
>> support of his/her own party members and securing at least some
>> support of the opposing party's members.
>>
>> Obama has not been particularly effective in this, but Palin would not
>> be at all effective in this. IMO.
>> --
>> Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
>
> It's the policy differences that matter more to me. The differences
> between Palin and Obama are like night and day.

Palin has no well thought out policy. If I am wrong, please tell me what it
is.
BTW I was in Alaska last Summer, passed through Wasilla and could not see
Russia.

--
Peter

From: Bill Graham on

> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:31:05 -0500, "Pete Stavrakoglou"
>> <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
>>>teleprompter and he's lost for words.
>>
>> Whereas Palin had to write "Hi, I'm Sara Palin" on the palm of her
>> hand to ensure at least one cogent point in an interview.
>>
>> The teleprompter thing is a red herring, though. The use of the
>> teleprompter has to do with being able to recite a previously prepared
>> speech without stumbling. The thinking goes into writing the speech
>> that is prepared and then projected onto the teleprompter.
>
> Who writes the speeches? That thinking is left to a speech writer. It's
> no red herring, the man is lost without it.

They write out (on hand or teleprompter) what they are going to say in
advance because if they happen to accidentally say the wrong thing, or even
imply something that they didn't intend to imply, the oppositions press will
be all over them like a dozen chickens on a June bug for days and days,
until they end up apologizing six ways from Sunday for weeks and weeks. Why
anyone would want that job is totally beyond me, but when they get it,
that's what they have to put up with.