From: Savageduck on
On 2010-02-12 19:49:06 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:

> Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> It's the policy differences that matter more to me. The differences
>>> between Palin and Obama are like night and day.
>>>
>> That's exactly right. Obama makes a very creditable president, and Palin
>> would not. But Obama is a liberal Democrat, which is my worst nightmare, and
>> Palin is a conservative Republican which is the closest thing to a perfect
>> leader I can imagine, so I would vote for her in a New York minute.
>
> A "conservative" republican who was governer of a state that relies
> quite heavily on federal money.
>
> Anyone who would vote for Palin is an idiot.

Well, we have identified at least 2, maybe 3 in this thread.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-12 16:48:38 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:16:29 -0800, C J Campbell
> <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-02-11 13:10:40 -0800, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> said:

>>> Wrong, because the consumer pays VAT only once, at the point of sale.
>>> All the VAT that was charged on any intermediate expense, including
>>> transport, is reclaimed by the retailer of the product or service.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, the consumer would be paying tax on tax, and that doesn't
>>> happen.
>>
>> It sure happens in the US. We have all kinds of taxes on our taxes,
>> including paying sales tax on items that already have been taxed for
>> their labor, business and occupation, and various excise taxes.
>

> VAT would put a stop to that.

I doubt it. It would be just one more tax.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

From: C J Campbell on
On 2010-02-12 19:47:12 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:

> Peter <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>>> To some degree nearly every corporate CEO is a greedy, selfish
>>> moneybag. It's nearly a job requirement.
>>
>> You obviously refuse to recognize the responsibility of a CEO, regardless of
>> the size of the corporation.
>
> Correct.
>
>> When you open up in the morning and realize
>> that x number of people are looking to you for guidance and depend on your
>> skills to prevent starvation, or to promote a reasonable life style, you
>> should recognize that you have an awesome responsibility. Sure, some are
>> greedy turds, but they are in the minority.
>
> I have seen far too many CEO's laying off $60,000/yr workers so that
> they can continue to take home $20,000,000/yr. To think that a
> typical CEO has the interests of employees as a priority is naive.
> If they cared about employees or the company then they'd be getting
> $1,000,000/yr and using the extra money to keep 200 employees producing
> products to sell.

You seriously believe that even a selfish CEO is going to lay off 200
employees if they are making money for the company? I think not. If 200
employees are getting laid off it is because they are costing the
company more than they are worth. Either they are making products that
no one wants to buy or they not making products at all -- they are just
dead wood.

I'll bet the last buggy whip manufacturer made great buggy whips -- the
finest buggy whips in the world. But you know what? I don't care how
good the employees were, if all they knew how to do was make buggy
whips then it would be the height of irresponsibility to keep paying
them for making something no one was buying.

But a CEO who could transform the buggy whip manufacturer into
something else that is profitable or, failing that, liquidate the
company for a decent price, is worth quite a bit to the owners of the
company.

Nobody owes you a job if you want to charge more than the job is worth,
whether you are a CEO or a guy sweeping the floors. CEOs do not set
their own pay; it is set by the shareholders of the company. CEOs do
not pay themselves; they are paid by the directors.

Are some CEOs overpaid? Of course. Just as there are many other
employees that are overpaid. But these people tend not to last. CEOs
are like great coaches. They can make a lot of money if they produce a
winning team. But don't expect to last more than one season if you
don't make the playoffs.

From: Ray Fischer on
C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:
>> Peter <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote:

>>> You obviously refuse to recognize the responsibility of a CEO, regardless of
>>> the size of the corporation.
>>
>> Correct.
>>
>>> When you open up in the morning and realize
>>> that x number of people are looking to you for guidance and depend on your
>>> skills to prevent starvation, or to promote a reasonable life style, you
>>> should recognize that you have an awesome responsibility. Sure, some are
>>> greedy turds, but they are in the minority.
>>
>> I have seen far too many CEO's laying off $60,000/yr workers so that
>> they can continue to take home $20,000,000/yr. To think that a
>> typical CEO has the interests of employees as a priority is naive.
>> If they cared about employees or the company then they'd be getting
>> $1,000,000/yr and using the extra money to keep 200 employees producing
>> products to sell.
>
>You seriously believe that even a selfish CEO is going to lay off 200
>employees if they are making money for the company?

Not only do I believe it, I've seen it.

> I think not. If 200
>employees are getting laid off it is because they are costing the
>company more than they are worth.

Like the CEO?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2010-02-12 19:49:06 -0800, rfischer(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) said:
>
>> Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message

>>> That's exactly right. Obama makes a very creditable president, and Palin
>>> would not. But Obama is a liberal Democrat, which is my worst nightmare,
>>> and
>>> Palin is a conservative Republican which is the closest thing to a
>>> perfect
>>> leader I can imagine, so I would vote for her in a New York minute.
>>
>> A "conservative" republican who was governer of a state that relies
>> quite heavily on federal money.
>>
>> Anyone who would vote for Palin is an idiot.
>
> Well, we have identified at least 2, maybe 3 in this thread.

Ah.....The latest definition of, "idiot". - Anyone who votes for a
president who was the former governor of a state that got a lot of money
from the federal government.........Huh?