From: Bill Graham on

"J�rgen Exner" <jurgenex(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>C J Campbell <christophercampbellremovethis(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> 1: Canada does have VAT, it is called "Goods and Services Tax". Don't
>>> know about other countries in America.
>>> 2: I am quite certain I prefer a flat simple straightforward VAT over
>>> the impenetrable jungle of local, state, county and other sales taxes
>>> that are slapped on in the US and sometimes vary just across the street.
> [...]
>>If you like this oppressive, extremely regressive tax, fine with me.
>
> ???
> You see me mystified and scratching my head.
>
> How is a system that charges exactly the same percentage from
> everyone[*] regressive, or even worse "extremely regressive", in
> absolute terms?
> And how is it more regressive in relative terms (if that's what you
> meant) than sales tax where rich cities, which are rich because rich
> people are living there, don't leverage sales tax while poor cities have
> no other choice?
>
> *: In reality there are typically 3 or 4 different levels of VAT, none
> or reduced for basic needs like e.g. food, standard, and high for luxury
> items, thus actually making it a rather progressive tax because
> low-income people are unlikely to buy large amounts of the high-taxed
> luxury items.
>
> jue

And wouldn't Bill Gates love a sales tax......He wouldn't spend any more
than he does now, but his investments would make billions of dollars every
year, and it would all be tax free., Talk about a regressive tax system.....

From: Bill Graham on

"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Otherwise, the consumer would be paying tax on tax, and that doesn't
> happen.

It doesn't? Have you ever heard of a place called, "California"?

First, you pay a federal income tax. Then you pay a state income tax on the
same money you made and just paid a fed. income tax on. Then, you pay an
annual house tax, and an annual tax on all your vehicles and boats. Then,
when you go to the store and spend what little money you have left over,
(assuming that you have any left over) you have to pay a sales tax on
everything you buy, including the fast food, or any processed food
whatsoever, and anything some state clerk decided is not healthy for you to
eat, own, or smoke....:^) And I haven't even mentioned all the licensing
fees you might have to pay for your cats, dogs, bicycles and etc.......

From: Ray Fischer on
Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>Sales taxes represent double taxation, and should be declared
>unconstitutional.

Bad news for anarchist rightards: The Constitution doesn't say
whatever you want it to say.

> Anyone with an ounce of feeling about what's right and
>fair

Obviously that rules you out.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Pete Stavrakoglou <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote:
>I don't see much evidence that Obama is much of a thinker. Take away the
>teleprompter and he's lost for words.

Such obvious bigotry and lying really doesn't say much for you. Obama
speaks in public regularly and without teleprompters and speaks quite
well. AND he is capable of keeping three simple ideas in his head
without having to write them on his palm.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Ray Fischer on
Bill Graham <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>"Pete Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr(a)optonline.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> wrote in message
>>> "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> You are even more scary than I thought.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>
>> I'll take her over the current mistake in the White House in a heartbeat.
>>
>Yes. He is the one printing the money and giving it away to the "Poor".

Another outright lie. The deficit exists almost entirely because of
Bush and the Republicans who gave away trillions of dollars to the
wealthy.

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net