From: Gordon Burditt on
>drive or hard drives byte by byte in repetitive read operations adding
>to the wear and tear to your hard drive.

Why would you think that accessing a file, say, 64*K* at a time would
cause more wear and tear on the hard drive than accessing a file a
terabyte at a time would? Swap, swap, swap. Page, page, page.

In general, you *can't* access a hard drive byte by byte (at the
device-driver level), you read a block at a time, minimum.

>Imagine a read write
>operation involving three files accessing one hard drive. This way
>the equipment is less taxed. Of course the OS does not access the
>hardware byte by byte but doing it this way does minimize the access
>operations.
>
>175MB x 2 = 350MB

swap, swap, swap, page, page, page. The first file chunk will
likely page mostly out of memory while the second file chunk is
being read, even on a machine with *only* 1G of memory and something
else besides that program running. A unitasking OS is really
ancient, even for cell phones and PDAs.

>is chosen because some users have limited RAM and I
>want the program to run on as many computer configurations as
>possible.

If you want your program to run on systems with limited RAM, write
the program so it will fit in small-memory model DOS (64*K* total).

>The size of the XOR program is due to the fact that it is a stand-
>alone program and this is needed to provide all the associated
>libraries to make for a GUI. It does not need any of your operating
>system's libraries, either.

Why does an XOR program *need* a GUI?

>I mean, how wary can one be of a simple XOR program that can be proven
>to work exactly as described? Spyware? Adware?

Also viruses, destructive behavior such as formatting the hard drive,
and wondering what the heck that much excess code is actually doing?
Scanning my hard drive for credit card numbers?

>Why didn't you just ask.

Asking the program author whether a program is spyware is pretty pointless.

From: Maaartin on
On Jun 12, 3:21 pm, Bryan <bryanjugglercryptograp...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> So what's the optimal file I/O size? Not worth figuring. There's a
> wide range that's not far off the optimal, today somewhere in, say, 4
> KB to 1 MB.

I disagree. For sure, it's not 175MB, the optimum seems to be
somewhere in the indicated range, but you can gain more then a factor
of 2 when using the optimal buffer size, at least in Java. I created a
16GB file and read it using different buffer sizes, I repeated the
test twice:

blocksize seconds seconds
256 277 275
4096 301 255
65536 135 136
1048576 236 237
16777216 217 215

It clearly shows that sizes above about 1MB makes it slower because of
the cache, I'm not sure what happens at the small sizes (as the system
calls made by Java are independent of the size since everything goes
through File.read() returning a single byte).
From: jmorton123 on
Throwing dice and shuffling cards is also pure mathematics.

And so is the flapping of your lips.

Yet people usually talk about shuffling cards and throwing dice, plain
and simple, especially when it most accurately describes the action.

There is good reason the bible admonishes those that would call
another man a fool.

Can you offer us any constructive criticism regarding the theory
presented in the BulletProof Help file called, The Grand Theory?

JM

From: jmorton123 on
Nor would it do any good to tell you here that I have done no such
thing: nevertheless, what I've described is all that there is to the
freeware.

I'll do a swan dive off the Golden Gate Bridge if I did and let you
video tape it.

I used Embarcadero C++ Builder 2010 as my IDE and compiler if this
helps.

JM

From: Tom St Denis on
On Jun 11, 10:04 pm, jmorton123 <jmorton...(a)rock.com> wrote:
> Okay, I haven't heard from anyone that has a problem with the
> theoretical security of BulletProof Random Binary Number Generator.

I personally don't care about the security of your application. Aside
from the fact that I don't run Windows anywhere I just don't have need
for this class of application.

That said, from the compiled code we can't verify that your
application actually does what you claim it does [and nothing more].

Tom