From: Mr. B on
> Yet people usually talk about shuffling cards and throwing dice, plain
> and simple, especially when it most accurately describes the action.

Not when we are dealing with cryptography -- we want provable security,
which means mathematics.

> There is good reason the bible admonishes those that would call
> another man a fool.

The bible has nothing to do with cryptography.

> Can you offer us any constructive criticism regarding the theory
> presented in the BulletProof Help file called, The Grand Theory?

Where is that file? I am not going to run some executable file, even if it
is just an installer, just because you ask me to. Post the documentation
here in this newsgroup or on your website, or else you will get no feedback
from me.

Speaking of things posted on your website, please explain your claim that
your random number generator is more secure that Blum Blum Shub because it
has no limit key size (a property Blum Blum Shub also has).

-- B
From: Maaartin on
On Jun 13, 1:37 am, Maaartin <grajc...(a)seznam.cz> wrote:

I re-ran my simple benchmark concentrating on the most-promising
sizes:

blocksize seconds
4096 284
8192 186
16384 140
32768 135
65536 135
131072 135
262144 135
524288 135
1048576 243

This clearly shows that any buffer size between 16 and 512 kB is fine,
and that using larger buffers is a clear non-sense.

> It clearly shows that sizes above about 1MB makes it slower because of
> the cache, I'm not sure what happens at the small sizes (as the system
> calls made by Java are independent of the size since everything goes
> through File.read() returning a single byte).

I was wrong, it runs through File.read(byte[] buffer, int off, int
length) giving length bytes at once. I think we can ignore the
overhead of Java and state, that the using too small buffer sizes is
bad because of the OS(*) not being able to handle it as efficiently as
it should.

The performance for large buffer sizes diminishes because of the L2
cache misses (it's size is 1MB on my computer, which corresponds with
the huge speed loss when switching from 0.5MB to 1MB buffers). There
may be other reasons, too.

It would be nice if somebody could try it using another language/
computer/OS.

(*) I mean Windows XP 64, some could argue against calling it OS.
From: Bryan on
jmorton123, A.K.A. jjanes, A.K.A. Anthony Stephen Szopa wrote:

[ rossum had written:
>> I am interested in the practical security. Have you put in a trapdoor
>> that you are not telling us about? Are you sending copie of the
>> random numbers produced back to your website? Have you got a
>> key-logger hidden in the (large) binary? ]

> Nor would it do any good to tell you here that I have done no such
> thing:  nevertheless, what I've described is all that there is to the
> freeware.

And we're supposed to take your word for anything after the stuff
you've tried to pull here?

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/browse_frm/thread/32908584bd68ea62

--
--Bryan
From: Earl_Colby_Pottinger on
On Jun 13, 2:04 pm, Maaartin <grajc...(a)seznam.cz> wrote:
> On Jun 13, 1:37 am, Maaartin <grajc...(a)seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> I re-ran my simple benchmark concentrating on the most-promising
> sizes:
>
> blocksize    seconds
>      4096        284
>      8192        186
>     16384        140
>     32768        135
>     65536        135
>    131072        135
>    262144        135
>    524288        135
>   1048576        243
>
> This clearly shows that any buffer size between 16 and 512 kB is fine,
> and that using larger buffers is a clear non-sense.
>
> > It clearly shows that sizes above about 1MB makes it slower because of
> > the cache, I'm not sure what happens at the small sizes (as the system
> > calls made by Java are independent of the size since everything goes
> > through File.read() returning a single byte).
>
> I was wrong, it runs through File.read(byte[] buffer, int off, int
> length) giving length bytes at once. I think we can ignore the
> overhead of Java and state, that the using too small buffer sizes is
> bad because of the OS(*) not being able to handle it as efficiently as
> it should.
>
> The performance for large buffer sizes diminishes because of the L2
> cache misses (it's size is 1MB on my computer, which corresponds with
> the huge speed loss when switching from 0.5MB to 1MB buffers). There
> may be other reasons, too.
>
> It would be nice if somebody could try it using another language/
> computer/OS.

I am using Haiku-OS-A1R2, and to update the OS on the hard drive I use
'DD' to copy a disk image to a drive partition.

I noticed the same behavior. DD defaults to 256 byte buffers, the
larger the buffers - the faster it runs. Then at about 1.5MB the
performance starts to fall, I think this a combination of the cache
size (2MB) and the allocator call which now has to zero out the memory
locations.
From: Mr. B on
jmorton123 wrote:

> From the compiled code you can prove that the software does exactly
> what it is described to do. But you have a point about being wary
> that it might do something more than what it is described to do.

Oh, that's interesting, so you ship a security proof along with that
program, so that my automatic verification system can check that the program
only does what you claim it does? Where is that proof, exactly? All I saw
on your website was a standalone executable installer, compiled for Windows.

> 2.) Although I have been lax in consistently using this technique
> myself although I do have the software installed, the first thing
> everyone should do when they get a new system and get it working just
> perfectly is to take a disk image of it. I also try to never put
> anything on my system that could compromise me, as well. Then I don't
> care if I get a virus or key logger or etc. because I just reformat
> the HD and place my original disk image back on my computer.
>
> Am I still vulnerable or is this a fool-proof security procedure?

You are still vulnerable to viruses that insert themselves into the system
BIOS. You also have to double check that you do not have any removable
media attached to your system -- viruses can hide there too. A virus might
also insert itself into firmware on various devices you connect to your
system.

The better security practice is not to execute code that people on Usenet
ask you to execute, unless you can verify that it does precisely what they
claim it does -- which requires either source code or some sort of
verification scheme, neither of which you have provided.

> I highly recommend Acronis True Image.

Or, you can use dd, which ships with every operating system except the one
that you compiled your programs for.

-- B