From: MZB on
Ben:

Nah... I just bought a new laptop. The Inspiron is still working. I'm sure
the jack will go totally in the near future. At this point, I've had it
maybe 7 years and it is time to say goodbye!

Mel

From: Ben Myers on
On 6/28/2010 12:53 PM, MZB wrote:
> Ben:
>
> Nah... I just bought a new laptop. The Inspiron is still working. I'm sure
> the jack will go totally in the near future. At this point, I've had it
> maybe 7 years and it is time to say goodbye!
>
> Mel
> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>> On 6/26/2010 11:32 PM, MZB wrote:
>>> Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
>>> charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
>>> different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer
>>> that
>>> the charger plugs into.
>>>
>>> Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
>>> re-soldered?).
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>> Mel,
>>
>> This sounds like the usual broken power jack. Fixing usually involves
>> complete disassembly of the laptop, and soldering on a new jack. There
>> are some very good people who replace power jacks and do a perfect job of
>> it. I cannot recommend one, but I've seen lots of ads to do this work for
>> around $100.
>>
>> As a possible alternative, would you consider simply replacing a 2200
>> chassis in its entirely, a half hour do-it-yourself job? Removal of all
>> the useful parts of a 2200 and putting them into another chassis is a
>> simple job that requires a small Philips head screwdriver and little
>> else... Ben

I ask because I have both sold replacement motherboard/CPU/chassis
combos for laptops and done the repairs myself. To me, it makes no
sense at all to take a chance on a soldering job when a perfectly good
motherboard in the chassis can provide a simple and quick repair... Ben
Myers
From: Christopher Muto on
Ben Myers wrote:
> On 6/28/2010 12:53 PM, MZB wrote:
>> Ben:
>>
>> Nah... I just bought a new laptop. The Inspiron is still working. I'm
>> sure
>> the jack will go totally in the near future. At this point, I've had it
>> maybe 7 years and it is time to say goodbye!
>>
>> Mel
>> "Ben Myers"<ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Mel,
>>>
>>> This sounds like the usual broken power jack. Fixing usually involves
>>> complete disassembly of the laptop, and soldering on a new jack. There
>>> are some very good people who replace power jacks and do a perfect
>>> job of
>>> it. I cannot recommend one, but I've seen lots of ads to do this
>>> work for
>>> around $100.
>>>
>>> As a possible alternative, would you consider simply replacing a 2200
>>> chassis in its entirely, a half hour do-it-yourself job? Removal of all
>>> the useful parts of a 2200 and putting them into another chassis is a
>>> simple job that requires a small Philips head screwdriver and little
>>> else... Ben
>>

> I ask because I have both sold replacement motherboard/CPU/chassis
> combos for laptops and done the repairs myself. To me, it makes no
> sense at all to take a chance on a soldering job when a perfectly good
> motherboard in the chassis can provide a simple and quick repair... Ben
> Myers

probably just me but i would be more confident with a trusty motherboard
with a new power jack freshly soldered on then an unknown used
motherboard with a power jack that has experienced an unknown amount of
use and has a unknown amount of life left in it. i bet you could easily
pick up the necessary soldering skills to do this yourself. the hardest
part to the repair is the reassembly of the whole system and that is
something that you already know how to do. the jacks sell on ebay for
$5 each, less in bulk.