From: MZB on
Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer that
the charger plugs into.

Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
re-soldered?).

Mel

From: Mark Opolo on

"MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in message
> Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
> charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
> different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer that
> the charger plugs into.
>
> Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
> re-soldered?).
>
> Mel

yes, the socket, either a resoldered connection or replaced.

From: Boris on
"MZB" <moo(a)noway.prudigy.net> wrote in

> Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
> charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
> different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer
> that the charger plugs into.
>
> Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
> re-soldered?).
>
> Mel

Expensive? Where I live, there's a shop that specializes in resoldering
power connectors to motherboards. I had it done on an i6400 about 6 mos.
ago, and they charge $150 flat rate.
From: Christopher Muto on
MZB wrote:
> Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
> charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
> different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer that
> the charger plugs into.
>
> Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
> re-soldered?).
>
> Mel

see the thread titled "deal latitude d505" dated 2010.06.08.
From: Ben Myers on
On 6/26/2010 11:32 PM, MZB wrote:
> Ok, I have an aging Inspiron 2200. Lately, the battery charges/doesn't
> charge. If I jiggle the AC Adapter, it charges. Same problem with a
> different charger, so it appears to be the receptacle in the computer that
> the charger plugs into.
>
> Is this an expensive fix? (I assume something has to be replaced or
> re-soldered?).
>
> Mel

Mel,

This sounds like the usual broken power jack. Fixing usually involves
complete disassembly of the laptop, and soldering on a new jack. There
are some very good people who replace power jacks and do a perfect job
of it. I cannot recommend one, but I've seen lots of ads to do this
work for around $100.

As a possible alternative, would you consider simply replacing a 2200
chassis in its entirely, a half hour do-it-yourself job? Removal of all
the useful parts of a 2200 and putting them into another chassis is a
simple job that requires a small Philips head screwdriver and little
else... Ben