From: Wilba on
Wilba wrote:
> Troy Piggins wrote:
>> JimKramer wrote:
>>>
>>> We are trying to make it clear that for a given position, focus point
>>> and f stop that the image formed does not change other than the
>>> over all FoV; i.e. you can crop a wide angle image to the same
>>> FoV as a longer focal length lens image and it will be identical to
>>> the image taken with the longer focal
>>> length lens. You are having a difficult time grasping the math and
>>> are making it overly complicated, so again go out and take some
>>> pictures to prove it to yourself. Any variations from this are caused
>>> by real world defects in the lens or the image capture device.
>>
>> Sorry Jim. Standing in the same spot, focusing on the same
>> object, using the same aperture and same camera, with 2 different
>> focal length lenses will yield 2 different depths of field. The
>> shot taken with the shorter focal length lens will have more
>> stuff in focus than the longer focal length lens shot.
>
> What you say is true, but it doesn't describe the comparison in question.
> Once you crop the shot taken with the shorter focal length lens to give
> the same view as the shot taken with the longer focal length lens, the
> DOF will be identical in _those_ images.

Oops! (Once again I learn that I can't trust my memory.) You get the same
DOF with the shorter lens if you move closer to get the same FOV, not by
cropping. Sorry.

From: Robert Coe on
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:30:08 -0500, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
wrote:
: On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:52:29 -0000, "whisky-dave"
: <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
:
: >
: >"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
: >news:61shi5l8nv95cvha8hgelptp4ciq4c4mk7(a)4ax.com...
: >> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:53:56 -0500, "Bowser" <its(a)bowzah.ukme> wrote:
: >>
: >>>Testament to the stupidity of our system of idolizing athletes and
: >>>entertainers. Truly bizzare that we make millionaires out of people who
: >>>contribute nothing to society.
: >>
: >> We disagree there. While I feel the compensation to athletes is
: >> excessive, it's pure supply and demand.
: >
: >Yep, that's true but I really donl;t understand where all the money comes
: >from.
:
: From us, in the basic sense. A team's income is from radio and
: television contracts, ticket sales, and merchandise sales...in that
: order. The radio and television networks recoup their costs by
: selling time to advertisers, and advertisers recoup those costs by
: selling products. You buy the products, the tickets, and the team
: merchandise.
:
: Whether or not you buy the brand of beer advertised, a ticket to see a
: match, or a coffee mug with the team logo on it is immaterial.
: There's tangible evidence that enough do that we know the system
: works.
:
: >From my POV I find it amazing that some people care enough about a team
: >to pay X amount to watch them play.
:
: That's so, but I'll guarantee that you spend money on something that I
: would never spend a dime on.

Some might claim that anyone who spends what we do on camera equipment is
certifiably insane.

Bob
From: Ray Fischer on
Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:30:08 -0500, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>: On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:52:29 -0000, "whisky-dave"
>: <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote:
>:
>: >
>: >"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
>: >news:61shi5l8nv95cvha8hgelptp4ciq4c4mk7(a)4ax.com...
>: >> On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:53:56 -0500, "Bowser" <its(a)bowzah.ukme> wrote:
>: >>
>: >>>Testament to the stupidity of our system of idolizing athletes and
>: >>>entertainers. Truly bizzare that we make millionaires out of people who
>: >>>contribute nothing to society.
>: >>
>: >> We disagree there. While I feel the compensation to athletes is
>: >> excessive, it's pure supply and demand.
>: >
>: >Yep, that's true but I really donl;t understand where all the money comes
>: >from.
>:
>: From us, in the basic sense. A team's income is from radio and
>: television contracts, ticket sales, and merchandise sales...in that
>: order. The radio and television networks recoup their costs by
>: selling time to advertisers, and advertisers recoup those costs by
>: selling products. You buy the products, the tickets, and the team
>: merchandise.
>:
>: Whether or not you buy the brand of beer advertised, a ticket to see a
>: match, or a coffee mug with the team logo on it is immaterial.
>: There's tangible evidence that enough do that we know the system
>: works.
>:
>: >From my POV I find it amazing that some people care enough about a team
>: >to pay X amount to watch them play.
>:
>: That's so, but I'll guarantee that you spend money on something that I
>: would never spend a dime on.
>
>Some might claim that anyone who spends what we do on camera equipment is
>certifiably insane.

Fortunately for me, we have a friend who bought a nice BMW and spends
money on things like performance tires for when he drives fast at
events. I can just point to him and show my wife that _my_ insane
hobby isn't nearly so expensive. :-)

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net