From: tony cooper on
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:13:43 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>Regarding recent news, I also question the validity of naming Woods as
>"Athlete of the Decade" when there are far more deserving true athletes
>such as Michael Phelps.
>Phelps' 8 Gold medal achievement at Beijing alone should have put him
>at the top of that list, and once you add on the rest of his Olympic
>gold in 2004, and his 37 World records (currently holder of 19 World
>records) should have made him the athlete of the decade.
>
>Hell! Lance Armstrong is more deserving of that label than Woods.
>
>I guess swimming doesn't command the respect of sports writers blinded
>by golf earning power.

How many people took up swimming or bicycle racing because of the
publicity generated by the accomplishments of Phelps or Armstrong?

Tiger made golf a more popular sport and many people - especially
African Americans - have taken up golf because of Tiger.

Tiger qualifies as AOTY both for his physical accomplishments in his
sport and for the influence he had in his sport.

The thing that bothers me is that we can't separate the athletic
aspects from the personal aspects. Tiger's personal life is sordid
and reprehensible, but his athletic accomplishments shouldn't be
denied.

The award isn't for "Athlete With Good Moral Values Of The Year".
That one should go to Tim Tebow.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2009-12-18 06:53:02 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:13:43 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> Regarding recent news, I also question the validity of naming Woods as
>> "Athlete of the Decade" when there are far more deserving true athletes
>> such as Michael Phelps.
>> Phelps' 8 Gold medal achievement at Beijing alone should have put him
>> at the top of that list, and once you add on the rest of his Olympic
>> gold in 2004, and his 37 World records (currently holder of 19 World
>> records) should have made him the athlete of the decade.
>>
>> Hell! Lance Armstrong is more deserving of that label than Woods.
>>
>> I guess swimming doesn't command the respect of sports writers blinded
>> by golf earning power.
>
> How many people took up swimming or bicycle racing because of the
> publicity generated by the accomplishments of Phelps or Armstrong?

Yup, swimming, at even a middle of the road collegiate level takes
years of dedicated training, and is more work than the average Jane or
Joe cares to endure. However Armstrong brough a massive boost to
cycling and the industry surrounding it. There are far more
recreational and sporting cyclists today because of his contribution.

> Tiger made golf a more popular sport and many people - especially
> African Americans - have taken up golf because of Tiger.
>
> Tiger qualifies as AOTY both for his physical accomplishments in his
> sport and for the influence he had in his sport.

At the recreational level golf hardly makes the physical demands of
many of the truly athletic sports, and it is easier for those
marginally fit to engage in. That is as compared with a sports such as
tennis, track & field, swimming or rowing.

I will give you that once we move beyond golf as a recreational game
where the club duffers ride from stroke to stroke, physical fitness is
a must, but I think Tiger would be hard pressed to beat, say Federer or
Nadal in a 100M foot sprint.

> The thing that bothers me is that we can't separate the athletic
> aspects from the personal aspects. Tiger's personal life is sordid
> and reprehensible, but his athletic accomplishments shouldn't be
> denied.

I still have a lot of trouble considering golf an athletic endevour,
regardless of Tiger's undeniable achievements.
When it comes to athletic achievement, who cares about his personal
life, Phelps got caught in a cell phone pic with a bong, and Armstrong
was cheating on his wife with Cheryl Crow.

> The award isn't for "Athlete With Good Moral Values Of The Year".
> That one should go to Tim Tebow.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:44:38 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>I still have a lot of trouble considering golf an athletic endevour,
>regardless of Tiger's undeniable achievements.

Oh, no. The old saw about golf not being an athletic event because it
doesn't require physical endurance. Being a good golfer requires the
same type of coordination skills that is present in most recognized
sports. While the golfer is not required to have the necessary
stamina to run from stroke to stroke, he has be in total control of
all of his body movements. Also, as in all major sports, he has to
develop the mental aspects of knowing what to do when.

If you feel that golf is not an athletic endeavor because the player
sets up, commits to a burst of action, and then does nothing
physically demanding until the next set-up and burst, then you must
shoo the javelin tosser off the field because he is not an athlete.
Or the place kicker. Or the diver. And so on. It's what is done
during that burst that makes one an athlete.

(I'd add the bowler, but I can't see bowling as a sport)

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: J. Clarke on
Savageduck wrote:
> On 2009-12-18 06:53:02 -0800, tony cooper
> <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:13:43 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Regarding recent news, I also question the validity of naming Woods
>>> as "Athlete of the Decade" when there are far more deserving true
>>> athletes such as Michael Phelps.
>>> Phelps' 8 Gold medal achievement at Beijing alone should have put
>>> him at the top of that list, and once you add on the rest of his
>>> Olympic gold in 2004, and his 37 World records (currently holder of
>>> 19 World records) should have made him the athlete of the decade.
>>>
>>> Hell! Lance Armstrong is more deserving of that label than Woods.
>>>
>>> I guess swimming doesn't command the respect of sports writers
>>> blinded by golf earning power.
>>
>> How many people took up swimming or bicycle racing because of the
>> publicity generated by the accomplishments of Phelps or Armstrong?
>
> Yup, swimming, at even a middle of the road collegiate level takes
> years of dedicated training, and is more work than the average Jane or
> Joe cares to endure. However Armstrong brough a massive boost to
> cycling and the industry surrounding it. There are far more
> recreational and sporting cyclists today because of his contribution.
>>
>> Tiger made golf a more popular sport and many people - especially
>> African Americans - have taken up golf because of Tiger.
>>
>> Tiger qualifies as AOTY both for his physical accomplishments in his
>> sport and for the influence he had in his sport.
>
> At the recreational level golf hardly makes the physical demands of
> many of the truly athletic sports, and it is easier for those
> marginally fit to engage in. That is as compared with a sports such as
> tennis, track & field, swimming or rowing.
>
> I will give you that once we move beyond golf as a recreational game
> where the club duffers ride from stroke to stroke, physical fitness is
> a must, but I think Tiger would be hard pressed to beat, say Federer
> or
> Nadal in a 100M foot sprint.
>>
>> The thing that bothers me is that we can't separate the athletic
>> aspects from the personal aspects. Tiger's personal life is sordid
>> and reprehensible, but his athletic accomplishments shouldn't be
>> denied.
>
> I still have a lot of trouble considering golf an athletic endevour,
> regardless of Tiger's undeniable achievements.
> When it comes to athletic achievement, who cares about his personal
> life, Phelps got caught in a cell phone pic with a bong, and Armstrong
> was cheating on his wife with Cheryl Crow.

Considering the treatment for testicular cancer, "cheating on his wife" is
in itself a worthy athletic achievement.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-12-18 08:25:12 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:44:38 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> I still have a lot of trouble considering golf an athletic endevour,
>> regardless of Tiger's undeniable achievements.
>
> Oh, no. The old saw about golf not being an athletic event because it
> doesn't require physical endurance. Being a good golfer requires the
> same type of coordination skills that is present in most recognized
> sports. While the golfer is not required to have the necessary
> stamina to run from stroke to stroke, he has be in total control of
> all of his body movements. Also, as in all major sports, he has to
> develop the mental aspects of knowing what to do when.

I know, I know! It is just my prejudice. I fully appreciate the
coordination and skill required.

> If you feel that golf is not an athletic endeavor because the player
> sets up, commits to a burst of action, and then does nothing
> physically demanding until the next set-up and burst, then you must
> shoo the javelin tosser off the field because he is not an athlete.
> Or the place kicker. Or the diver. And so on. It's what is done
> during that burst that makes one an athlete.

Point taken.

> (I'd add the bowler, but I can't see bowling as a sport)

More recreation.

--
Regards,

Savageduck