From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:04:48 -0500, Harold A Climer wrote:

> If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need
> a null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other?

They should also be able to talk to each other using a cable
without circuitry, just a proper plug at each end,
and a "crossover" connection between ends -- much like
the little cable which used to come with each HP49G.

Has anyone considered (or already produced) such an item?

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
And...

> for two HP50's to talk to each other

How about "talking" via an SD card?

It's mighty easy to slip those cards in and out of the slots,
and for the Filer to transfer the files -- perhaps faster
than hooking up a cable and performing I/O transfers :)

That's how my 49G+/50G talk to each other
(and to Emu48 on my PC as well :)

It was also by far the fastest way to get files from one
HP48[S/G]X to another, back when using "typewriter" memory cards.

[r->] [OFF]
From: Colin Croft on
John H Meyers wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:04:48 -0500, Harold A Climer wrote:
>

>>If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need
>>a null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other?
>

> They should also be able to talk to each other using a cable
> without circuitry, just a proper plug at each end,
> and a "crossover" connection between ends -- much like
> the little cable which used to come with each HP49G.
>
> Has anyone considered (or already produced) such an item?
>
> [r->] [OFF]

The HP40gs comes with a cable that allows communication from calc to
calc via the mini-serial port because it has no IR port. I suspect you'd
find that it would work, although I've no idea if the cable is sold
separately by HP.
Image here: http://www.hphomeview.com/images/40to40Cable.jpg
From: electronguy on
On Apr 20, 9:47 pm, "John H Meyers" <jhmey...(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:04:48 -0500, Harold A Climer wrote:
> > If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need
> > a null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other?
>
> They should also be able to talk to each other using a cable
> without circuitry, just a proper plug at each end,
> and a "crossover" connection between ends -- much like
> the little cable which used to come with each HP49G.
>
> Has anyone considered (or already produced) such an item?
>
> [r->] [OFF]

I'm investigating use of my Samson Cable for connection to my Fluke
equipment with IR-isolated RS232. It appears that the cable enters
sleep mode if Tx (pin 3) is not < -3V. It thinks the cable is
disconnected from the DTE. Since the cable won't drive pin 2 before
being enabled by pin 3, I doubt that a back-to-back cable
configuration will produce a working result.

The cable doesn't drive DTR/RTS, etc., so I have to power those lines
separately in order for my Fluke equipment to work properly. An
engineer from Samson (?) has been very patient with my nagging
questions; I hope to have something working soon.

From: John H Meyers on
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 01:16:17 -0500, Colin Croft wrote:

> The HP40gs comes with a cable that allows communication from calc
> to calc via the mini-serial port because it has no IR port.
> I suspect you'd find that it would work, although I've no idea
> if the cable is sold separately by HP.
> Image here: http://www.hphomeview.com/images/40to40Cable.jpg

Is that the exact same connector as for 50G?

If so, can it also communicate between 50G and 40GS?
(hopefully the 50G "battery" pin was unused by 40GS)

Doesn't http://www.educalc.net/1045489.page
(Easter Eggs for 40GS) include a familiar name?
[when the site is not down or blocked, that is]

-[ ]-