From: Harold A Climer on
If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need a
null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other? If this is
true do they make anything like a gender changer in format that does
the same thing as a null modem cable?
Harold A Climer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
Room 309 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403
Harold-Climer(a)utc.edu
From: jeff on
On Apr 20, 11:04 am, Harold A Climer <hcli...(a)prodigy.net> wrote:
> If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need a
> null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other? If this is
> true do they make anything like a gender changer in format that does
> the same thing as a null modem cable?
> Harold A Climer
> University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
> Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
> Room 309 Grote Hall
> 615 McCallie Ave
> Chattanooga TN 37403
> Harold-Cli...(a)utc.edu

Wouldn't the IR port work better for that purpose?

From: Harold A Climer on
On 20 Apr 2007 12:19:45 -0700, jeff <jeff(a)cornerstone-engr.com> wrote:

>On Apr 20, 11:04 am, Harold A Climer <hcli...(a)prodigy.net> wrote:
>> If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I need a
>> null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other? If this is
>> true do they make anything like a gender changer in format that does
>> the same thing as a null modem cable?
>> Harold A Climer
>> University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
>> Dept of Physics,Geology,& Astronomy
>> Room 309 Grote Hall
>> 615 McCallie Ave
>> Chattanooga TN 37403
>> Harold-Cli...(a)utc.edu
>
>Wouldn't the IR port work better for that purpose?
Not really. The IR has a range of only a few cm.
I would eventually like to connect my HP50G to a Vernier LabPro
interface. Also I am going to try connecting it to my Triplett
Multimeter that has a RS-232 interface.
It seem that this method would be better suited for transferring data
collected in the field to another calculator for analysis.
From: John H Meyers on
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:04:48 -0500, Harold A Climer wrote:

> If the new Samson HP50G serial cable is true RS-232 would I
> need a null modem cable for two HP50's to talk to each other?

If you mean two identical, non-configurable calc+cable packages
head-to-head, thru only a gender changer, that would connect
RX to RX and TX to TX, so that neither would listen to the other,
so a "crossover" ("null modem") would be needed between them.

> If this is true do they make anything like a gender changer
> in format that does the same thing as a null modem cable?

So it is said, although you can always find one of each adapter type
(gender changer + null modem/crossover), which can plug into each other,
or even make your own from two male plugs and 3-4 wires.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062210 X-X
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062207 M-M
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062206 F-F
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103805 Male
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102497 Male

[r->] [OFF]
From: John H Meyers on
Just what the doctor ordered
(and cheaper per unit than sticker-shock shack :)

ORA Mini Null Modem Adapter DB9 Male / DB9 Male
http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=121390
http://www.mobileplanet.com/zoompic.aspx?type=item&i=121390

[r->] [OFF]