From: electronguy on
> Thanks for the above info. I just d/l'd IOMAN and I'll see what I can
> learn. I was using XMODEM-SERVER via the CONNECT feature of Conn4x.
> It worked fine at 4800 but not at all on 2400. I think I read that
> someone else was able to connect at 2400. It may be a parameter
> setting or something that prevents the 2400 baud from working. I'll
> try to get smarter about that tomorrow.
>
> -Dot-- Hide quoted text -

I had troubles with Conn4x at 9600 baud and lower. I was very
concerned when I first got the cable that something was wrong--even
with HyperTerminal I was losing faith with XModem until I tried the
IOMan version (I was getting text to appear properly on the screen, so
I knew the cable HAD to be working in some capacity). But, for
Conn4x, I get the exact results Jim D. does--nothing at 9600 baud of
lower using XModem Server.

From: dot on
On 21 Apr 2007 18:32:10 -0700, mk <lanrek(a)attglobal.net> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 3:46 pm, dot <d...(a)dot.com> wrote:
>> In the Portland, Or. metropolitan area, I have checked several sources..
>
>Hi Dot,
>
>I'm also in the Portland area too (Beaverton). Have you tried PCH
>cables (http://store.pchcables.com/) in Hillsboro? Pat is a really
>knowledgeable and said he had a kit with interchangeable ends - one
>being the 50G connector but with two notches instead of one (I had
>previously sent him a photo of the 50G connector ports and this was
>his response). I didn't buy one because I stumbled across a USB cable
>with the correct "mini-B" end (at a thrift store) and ended up making
>my own 50G cable (photos of the cable posted in another thread).
>
>mk

No, I haven't tried PCH Cables. Thanks for the lead. If it's a kit,
though, it may be the same type of thing they sell at Fry's. It was
in a blister pack containing a cable and several adapters. One of
them looked like it would fit, which was called a flat 4 USB adapter.

At that point I didn't want to spend $30 just for an adapter, when I
really needed a cable with that connector on at least one end. Norvac
had some surplus cables with a USB type A connector on one end, and
pig tail leads on the other. I was thinking about using that for
connecting to a minibox which would house the RS-232 circuit hardware.
From the USB type A I could then adapt to just about anything on an as
needed basis. Some of the equipment I want to use this with has
RJ-45, DB-9M, and DB-25M connectors.

-Dot-

From: dot on
On 21 Apr 2007 19:41:57 -0700, electronguy
<electronguy(a)blueelectronlabs.com> wrote:

>> Thanks for the above info. I just d/l'd IOMAN and I'll see what I can
>> learn. I was using XMODEM-SERVER via the CONNECT feature of Conn4x.
>> It worked fine at 4800 but not at all on 2400. I think I read that
>> someone else was able to connect at 2400. It may be a parameter
>> setting or something that prevents the 2400 baud from working. I'll
>> try to get smarter about that tomorrow.
>>
>> -Dot-- Hide quoted text -
>
>I had troubles with Conn4x at 9600 baud and lower. I was very
>concerned when I first got the cable that something was wrong--even
>with HyperTerminal I was losing faith with XModem until I tried the
>IOMan version (I was getting text to appear properly on the screen, so
>I knew the cable HAD to be working in some capacity). But, for
>Conn4x, I get the exact results Jim D. does--nothing at 9600 baud of
>lower using XModem Server.

Did you specifically try 4800 Baud? I haven't checked it rigorously,
but it seems to work on my system with Conn4x and XModem Server. The
USB side works just fine. Makes me wonder what the problem is with
some of the other baud rates. Maybe serial communications was
actually designed to be used as a torture technique to drive people
crazy? (It's working!)

-Dot-

From: Colin Croft on
Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> John H Meyers wrote:
>
>> Has anyone considered (or already produced) such an item?
>

> I'm pretty sure that they come with all HP40gs as they don't have an IR
> port and need a way to communicate with each other.
>
> JY

They do. Standard in the box.
From: electronguy on

> Did you specifically try 4800 Baud? I haven't checked it rigorously,
> but it seems to work on my system with Conn4x and XModem Server. The
> USB side works just fine. Makes me wonder what the problem is with
> some of the other baud rates. Maybe serial communications was
> actually designed to be used as a torture technique to drive people
> crazy? (It's working!)

Aha! Yes, it seems to work at 4800 baud. I must not have tried that
one and went straight to 2400.