From: Bruce on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
<geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront

Complete nonsense!

But thank you for the best laugh I have had this week. ;-)

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <_gC4o.43021$Dy6.26261(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>,
"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
> except to Canikon luddites.

Gary-

I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
to the Alpha 900.

I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
result in sharper images!

I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

Fred
From: Chris Malcolm on
Fred McKenzie <fmmck(a)aol.com> wrote:
> In article <_gC4o.43021$Dy6.26261(a)unlimited.newshosting.com>,
> "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
>> except to Canikon luddites.

> Gary-

> I have a nice collection of Minolta lenses previously used with a couple
> of 35mm bodies. They worked perfectly with the Alpha 100, so I upgraded
> to the Alpha 900.

> I would be a Sony luddite if I hadn't also played with a Canon 5D Mark
> II. The optics are no better or worse, but noise at low light levels is
> much LESS noticeable with the Canon. Canon photos at ISO 3200 are
> comparable to Sony photos at ISO 400, except that higher shutter speeds
> result in sharper images!

> I wonder if models released since the A900 are any less noisy at high
> ISO? If Sony can't solve the noise problem, they won't stand a chance.

They are less noisy. Check out dpreviews or any others.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: Robert Coe on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
<geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
:
: "whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message
: news:i2upbf$eie$1(a)qmul...
: >
: > "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
: > news:8bdjp6Fg3gU16(a)mid.individual.net...
: >> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: >>
: >>> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
: >>> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
: >>> Photographer" until recently.
: >>>
: >>> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
: >>> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
: >>> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
: >>> the A380's predecessor, the A350.
: >>>
: >>> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
: >>> The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
: >>>
: >>> Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
: >>> given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
: >>>
: >>> The Alpha range is dying.
: >>
: >> I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.
: >
: > maybe they should consider a Beta range, but then again beta is usually
: > thought of as work in progress. The Sony NIF (New improved formula)
: > likm they do with washing up liquid ;-)
:
: I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an amazing
: camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time, and still
: terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still current, but I
: am interested in Live View and possibly video now.
:
: The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
: except to Canikon luddites.

I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the company
circled the drain.

Bob
From: Gary Eickmeier on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
> <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> : The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
> : except to Canikon luddites.
>
> I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
> company
> circled the drain.

What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

Gary Eickmeier