From: Bruce on
The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
Photographer" until recently.

The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
the A380's predecessor, the A350.

The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.

The Alpha range is dying.
From: ray on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:

> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
> Photographer" until recently.
>
> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
> A380's predecessor, the A350.
>
> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
> list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
>
> Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
> given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
>
> The Alpha range is dying.

I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.
From: whisky-dave on

"ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
>
>> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
>> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
>> Photographer" until recently.
>>
>> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
>> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
>> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
>> A380's predecessor, the A350.
>>
>> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
>> list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
>>
>> Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
>> given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
>>
>> The Alpha range is dying.
>
> I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.

maybe they should consider a Beta range, but then again beta is usually
thought of as work in progress. The Sony NIF (New improved formula) likm
they do with washing up liquid ;-)

From: Gary Eickmeier on

"whisky-dave" <whisky-dave(a)final.front.ear> wrote in message

> "ray" <ray(a)zianet.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:06:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
>>
>>> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
>>> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
>>> Photographer" until recently.
>>>
>>> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
>>> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
>>> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on the
>>> A380's predecessor, the A350.
>>>
>>> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted. The
>>> list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
>>>
>>> Overall, the camera gets what I believe to be the lowest rating ever
>>> given to any DSLR on DPReview.com: a truly pathetic 60%.
>>>
>>> The Alpha range is dying.
>>
>> I think it may have started 'dying' the day Sony bought it from Minolta.
>
> maybe they should consider a Beta range, but then again beta is usually
> thought of as work in progress. The Sony NIF (New improved formula)
> likm they do with washing up liquid ;-)

I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an amazing
camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time, and still
terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still current, but I am
interested in Live View and possibly video now.

The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
except to Canikon luddites.

Gary Eickmeier

From: David J Taylor on
"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
[]
> I bought the Alpha 100 when it first came out, and it has been an
> amazing camera. Better resolution than any of the Canikons of the time,
> and still terrific. Great range of lenses. Intuitive controls. Still
> current, but I am interested in Live View and possibly video now.
>
> The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
> except to Canikon luddites.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

In the forefront? Not sure about that.

Worth changing a complete system for? Perhaps worth considering if
starting from scratch.

Is resolution everything?

Cheers,
David