From: J. Clarke on
On 8/2/2010 12:02 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> "Robert Coe"<bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
>> <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> : The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
>> : except to Canikon luddites.
>>
>> I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
>> company
>> circled the drain.
>>

> What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
> year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
> hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
> well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

Sony brought out new Palm-based PDAs every year too. More models than
anyone else and better. And then one day they decided that they didn't
want to be in that business anymore and dropped the whole product line.
From: Bruce on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 00:02:13 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
<geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
>year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
>hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
>well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

You must be just about the only person in the world who believes that
Sony Alpha DSLRs are at the "forefront" of anything.

Self-delusion or wishful thinking? Or both?

From: Chris Malcolm on
Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
> Photographer" until recently.

> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
> the A380's predecessor, the A350.

> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
> The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.

I think there was either some bias or ignorance in that quick
review. For example, he goes on at length about all the various
factors that can in some circumstances lead to poor auto exposure, and
clearly finds this auto exposure inaccuracy annoying. Yet this camera
inherits the unique separate-sensored live view of the A350, one of
whose special attributes was that the secondary live view sensor was
able to act as an extremely detailed exposure sensor when it was in
use, leading to remarkably accurate exposures. If the 390 has junked
that feature of the 350, it's well worth a strong adverse comment. But
I suspect he simply didn't know about it and did his exposure testing
with the live view off.

I'm also puzzled by the claim that there's no on-screen help to making
quick adjustments to shooting parameters. The A350 had plenty of that,
and while that's the kind of sophistication that might be dropped in a
simplified later model with a lesser number (320?), it's odd to find
it being dropped off a model which is supposed to be an upgrade. Has
it really been dropped off, or did the reviewer simply not find it in
the place he expected it to be?

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: Chris Malcolm on
Gary Eickmeier <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> "Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:34:10 -0400, "Gary Eickmeier"
>> <geickmei(a)tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> : The Alpha range has had many innovations and is still in the forefront,
>> : except to Canikon luddites.
>>
>> I remember when Studebaker owners talked exactly the same way, as the
>> company
>> circled the drain.

> What circling? What drain? They are still bringing out new cameras every
> year - more models than anyone else. I am very attracted to the rotating
> hi-res LCD live view ones, but I wish they could experiment with video as
> well. Sony has always been in the forefront of video, too.

According to the Sony people I've talked to, they're not bringing out
video in DSLRs until they've got a system sufficiently good to leave
the competition struggling to catch up. But then they would say that
:-)

From: Peter on
"Chris Malcolm" <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
> Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The "new" Sony Alpha 390 DSLR has been given a "quick review" by
>> DPReview.com. The review is by Barnaby Britton who worked at "Amateur
>> Photographer" until recently.
>
>> The A390 gets strong criticism for being thoroughly out-of-date, with
>> the only significant upgrade from the A380 being a larger handgrip.
>> Apparently, even the new handgrip still isn't as good as the one on
>> the A380's predecessor, the A350.
>
>> The list of Cons is very long, with some serious deficiencies noted.
>> The list of Pros is short, with significant reservations.
>
> I think there was either some bias or ignorance in that quick
> review. For example, he goes on at length about all the various
> factors that can in some circumstances lead to poor auto exposure, and
> clearly finds this auto exposure inaccuracy annoying. Yet this camera
> inherits the unique separate-sensored live view of the A350, one of
> whose special attributes was that the secondary live view sensor was
> able to act as an extremely detailed exposure sensor when it was in
> use, leading to remarkably accurate exposures. If the 390 has junked
> that feature of the 350, it's well worth a strong adverse comment. But
> I suspect he simply didn't know about it and did his exposure testing
> with the live view off.
>
> I'm also puzzled by the claim that there's no on-screen help to making
> quick adjustments to shooting parameters. The A350 had plenty of that,
> and while that's the kind of sophistication that might be dropped in a
> simplified later model with a lesser number (320?), it's odd to find
> it being dropped off a model which is supposed to be an upgrade. Has
> it really been dropped off, or did the reviewer simply not find it in
> the place he expected it to be?

The problem is that Brucie, typically, is simply quoting without analysis. I
have never used the camera and do not feel qualified on the merits, but I do
recognize BS when I see it. Too many here are simply spouting without actual
knowledge

--
Peter