From: Sjouke Burry on
Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>> Cydrome Leader Inscribed thus:

>>> Interesting.
>>>
>>> Here in US with 120, the danger is almost always from what you end up
>>> hitting or falling off (like a ladder) /into than from the shock
>>> itself.
>>>
>>> I've never been burned from 120 or seen stars or anything like that.
>>> I've touched high voltage DC equipment where it doesn't even matter if
>>> only one hand is in the pocket or or anything like that. At 8kV you're
>>> getting a one handed shock unless you have special boots on.
>>>
>>> The last actual line voltage electrocution story from around here was
>>> from somebody running an electric drill outdoors on a hot day. They
>>> sweated into the drill, couldn't let go and died.
>> Possible, but I suspect an urban legend.
>
> If the chicago suntimes or tribune had a functional search feature, you
> could locate the story, but that's a different story.
>
>>> How often do people drop dead from actual electrocutions in places
>>> that use 240, just doing plain tasks like you might at home or
>>> outside?
>> People do die from electrocution on 240 volt AC mains. More often than
>> not the reflex action causes you to pull away. I agree with your
>> comment that "the danger is almost always from what you end up hitting
>> or falling off (like a ladder) /into than from the shock itself."
>> DC is far more likely to kill you, simply because the muscle contracts
>> and makes it impossible to let go.
>
> Is it 240 from either side of the line to ground, or how does that work? I
> asked all about this when I was in Ireland, but forgot the answer.

No,1 phase and 1 return.
The return is actually the centre tap of the 3 phase system(3 X 240 V),
and equivalent to ground.
From: Cydrome Leader on
Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:
> Cydrome Leader wrote:
>> Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>>> Cydrome Leader Inscribed thus:

>>> Possible, but I suspect an urban legend.
>>
>> If the chicago suntimes or tribune had a functional search feature, you
>> could locate the story, but that's a different story.

>>> People do die from electrocution on 240 volt AC mains. More often than
>>> not the reflex action causes you to pull away. I agree with your
>>> comment that "the danger is almost always from what you end up hitting
>>> or falling off (like a ladder) /into than from the shock itself."
>>> DC is far more likely to kill you, simply because the muscle contracts
>>> and makes it impossible to let go.
>>
>> Is it 240 from either side of the line to ground, or how does that work? I
>> asked all about this when I was in Ireland, but forgot the answer.
>>
> No,1 phase and 1 return.
> The return is actually the centre tap of the 3 phase system(3 X 240 V),
> and equivalent to ground.

So it's usually some sort of Wye connection where one side of the power
would in theory br safe to just touch if you were standing in a puddle?

What's confusing in the USA is the mix of 120/240 and then the 120/208
circuits from 3 phase power in larger settings.

So while most homes may have 240volts available, an office building may
only have 208 between any two legs of the three phase power they have.

For a computer, it doesn't really matter, but for things like induction
motors, it's more of an issue.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-07-14, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:

>> How often do people drop dead from actual electrocutions in places
>> that use 240, just doing plain tasks like you might at home or
>> outside?
>
> People do die from electrocution on 240 volt AC mains. More often than
> not the reflex action causes you to pull away. I agree with your
> comment that "the danger is almost always from what you end up hitting
> or falling off (like a ladder) /into than from the shock itself."
> DC is far more likely to kill you, simply because the muscle contracts
> and makes it impossible to let go.

AC can do that too, My dad had trouble putting a skilsaw down after
cutting the lead. luckily he was able to out-distance the extension
lead. Next time he used it with an isolating transformer.

From: baron on
Cydrome Leader Inscribed thus:

> Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulfour(a)ppllaanneett.nnll> wrote:
>> Cydrome Leader wrote:

>>> If the chicago suntimes or tribune had a functional search feature,
>>> you could locate the story, but that's a different story.

>>> Is it 240 from either side of the line to ground, or how does that
>>> work? I asked all about this when I was in Ireland, but forgot the
>>> answer.
>>>
>> No,1 phase and 1 return.
>> The return is actually the centre tap of the 3 phase system(3 X 240
>> V), and equivalent to ground.
>
> So it's usually some sort of Wye connection where one side of the
> power would in theory br safe to just touch if you were standing in a
> puddle?

Normally the centre tap is bonded to earth at the distribution
transformer, such that the Neutral and earth are at the same potential.
The Blue, Yellow, Red phases supply the 240 volt feed. Often you will
find that one side of the street is one phase and the other side of the
street is another. They do try to balance the phases by connecting
equal numbers of homes to each phase. In the UK its rare to have a
domestic property supplied with all three phases.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
From: baron on
Jasen Betts Inscribed thus:

> On 2010-07-14, Baron <baron.nospam(a)linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote:
>
>>> How often do people drop dead from actual electrocutions in places
>>> that use 240, just doing plain tasks like you might at home or
>>> outside?
>>
>> People do die from electrocution on 240 volt AC mains. More often
>> than
>> not the reflex action causes you to pull away. I agree with your
>> comment that "the danger is almost always from what you end up
>> hitting or falling off (like a ladder) /into than from the shock
>> itself." DC is far more likely to kill you, simply because the muscle
>> contracts and makes it impossible to let go.
>
> AC can do that too, My dad had trouble putting a skilsaw down after
> cutting the lead. luckily he was able to out-distance the extension
> lead. Next time he used it with an isolating transformer.
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

Nasty ! I'm glad he's OK. I use a GFI on power tool cables.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.