From: Rui Maciel on
Tim Wescott wrote:

> USENET has newsgroups, the web has forums.
>
> This is a USENET newsgroup. It's echoed on a few web pages, but it's
> still USENET.

You seem to be a bit confused. As it was already pointed out, a forum is nothing more than a public
meeting place for open discussion. Sites which are ran on software packages such as phpBB are still
forums, just like any usenet newsgroup you happen to come across. Just to drive the point home,
google offers a web interface to usenet newsgroups through it's google groups service. Do you
believe that accessing sci.electronics.basics through google groups would make it a forum but
accessing it through a usenet client would take that definition away from it?

Rui Maciel
From: Cydrome Leader on
Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Ron M." wrote:
>>
>> Yep. RF burns are kinda painful too. But I bet it doesn't compare with
>> that infamous second anode. That one will make you change your shorts
>> for sure. That is if your still able to. Hit one of those when I was
>> in high school. Haven't touched a TV inside once since.
>

> Wimp. I've worked with techs who would reach out and touch the
> second anode lead with their bare hand to test for high voltage.

What's this second anode?
From: Michael A. Terrell on

"krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:28:04 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
> <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>

> >Jasen Betts wrote:

> >> AC can do that too, My dad had trouble putting a skilsaw down after
> >> cutting the lead. luckily he was able to out-distance the extension
> >> lead. Next time he used it with an isolating transformer.
> >

> > It would be simpler to make sure you can't cut the cord with the saw.
>
> Batteries? ;-)

I've never seen a battery operated saw I would buy. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Michael A. Terrell on

Rui Maciel wrote:

> Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>
> > This isn't a forum, it's a newsgroup.
>
> In your opinion what's the difference?

Usenet is hosted on multiple servers around the world. A 'Forum' is
hosted on a single machine, or a single, small server farm.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-07-18, Michael A. Terrell <mike.terrell(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Rui Maciel wrote:
>>
>> Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>>
>> > This isn't a forum, it's a newsgroup.
>>
>> In your opinion what's the difference?

> A 'Forum' is
> hosted on a single machine, or a single, small server farm.

That requirement seems very arbitrary.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: The ideas of time?
Next: Cheap Wholesale Bape Shoes