From: Adela on
Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
of them too. Now I only have left this one!

Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't
recall which others?

Thanks ever so much! Adela

From: ruic on
Microsoft is moving their newsgroups to web forums.

Rui

From: Roy Smith on
On 7/7/2010 10:32 AM, Adela wrote:
> Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
> my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
> message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
> of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
> of them too. Now I only have left this one!
>
> Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
> retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't
> recall which others?

Microsoft is closing their newsgroup server and encouraging everyone to
move over to their web forums instead. They are closing their
newsgroups in stages starting with the least active ones first, then
progressing to the more active newsgroups. If you don't want to use the
web forums, you can always switch over to a different newsgroup server
like aioe or eternal-september or any other free newsgroup server. Some
free newsgroup servers may require registering before you can receive
any of the newsgroups they carry.

If you want to participate in the web forums but would like to be able
to use your newsreader instead of the web interface, you can try one of
the NNTP bridge programs. The one I use and recommend is available here:

http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/

--

Roy Smith
Windows 7 Professional

Timestamp: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:54:24 AM
From: Adela on
Thank you Rui, at least now I know the whys! Is this an economy matter?
The reason I had the newsgroups in my OE in the first place was that I had
problems entering them through the web site, so now I have to go back to it?
:o) Adela

From: Adela on
Thank you Roy! Mystery resolved! :o) I had these newsgroups in my OE
because I had problems, though formally registered, to enter the web site
forums. Are they being moved to the same web site, or a new one?

However, I kind of liked having it in my OE so I'll follow your advice and
will try the aioe or eternal-september (and/or find others at googgle too?).
When I find another newsgroup should I FIRST delete the ones I have now? Or
delete them AFTER installing the new ones?

I don't know what NNTP bridge programs are, but I'll start trying the one
you recommend here: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ .

Thank you very much again! :-) Adela

P.S. I sent another message with my system info as I thought you'd need it,
so please disregard.