From: Toni Nikkanen on
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM(a)neo.rr.com> writes:

> I think that the decision to discontinue the LS-50 (Coolscan V) was
> simply a decision to stop playing these games, and offer only the
> LS-5000.

Wish it were so, but seems the LS-5000 is vanishing from stores just as
well. Many list it as backordered, if at all.

Personally, I am concerned about the LS-9000, since I still use, and enjoy
medium format film for it's qualities, and as an LS-8000 user have been
considering upgrading at some point.
From: Jethro Pull on
I have the 5000ED and back in December Win 7 64-bit OS wouldn't install
it. I just tried again and it installed as LS-5000 and seems to function
.... but I'm the newest user of VueScan Pro and have instructions from
VueScan in case the LS-5000 driver doesn't work.

You'd think Nikon would direct its 5000ED users to the LS-5000 driver.

From: Barry Watzman on
As far as I know, there is only one LS-5000, and "LS-5000ED" is just a
different name for it.

From: Barry Watzman on
I don't think that the LS-5000 and LS-5000ED are actually different
scanners. The "ED" just meant that the lenses were made from extra low
dispersion glass. And I think that they started that with the LS-4000
(ok, LS-4000ED) and continued it in the LS-5000 (LS-5000ED). I don't
think that there are two different scanners. And even if there were,
changing the lens glass would not change the electronics or require
different drivers.

I think that these are just two different names for the same scanner.

Just as "Coolscan III" and "LS-30" are two different names for the same
scanner.

From: Jethro Pull on
Thanks to everyone in this newsgroup who had ideas. I'm now in business
happily scanning with my 5000ED in Win 7 64-bit.