From: Don on
On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:47:49 +0000, Surfer! <surfer(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>>However think how powerful it was as a brand - for example, we have 'My
>>>Travel' in the UK, and probably quite a few other businesses who thought
>>>it cute/smart to follow the MS branding style.
>>
>>Indeed! Although, from the computer science point of view, it's the
>>absolutely worst name imaginable!
>
>Really? Why so? It's where Word etc. put documents by default. Seems
>OK to me. The 'My' means 'mine' rather than 'Freds'. I cannot see
>'Freds' unless I am an administrator and I go looking for them. If I
>know where to look I will know whose they are.

It's bad on several counts but, of course, everything depends on the
context. Nominally, it's not a very good name. However, as you point
out, it is very appealing to plain-vanilla users and has spread.

>>As Marjolein points out who's files are they anyway? "My" means
>>different things to each person. It's that ambiguity which makes it
>>totally unsuitable.
>
>Somehow I feel you are being deliberately obtuse - unless it's that
>you've never, ever been anywhere near anything after Win98 in which case
>you are talking from a somewhat ill-educated stance, in terms of Win2K &
>WinXP.

No, I'm not being obtuse at all. Formal methodologies consider names
such as "My Documents" to be bad. Even if we take (various!) MS' own
naming conventions it would be questionable.

For what it's worth (to put things in context) I've got some 27 years
of professional computer experience ranging from IBM mainframes to
4-bit microcontrollers and lots in between, programming them all from
assembly to 4th generation languages some quite obscure, although the
last few years I've been working as a project leader/manager,
programming only in my spare time.

Be that as it may, if the users like it (and it seems they do!) then
that's that and we computer pros can huff and puff all we want! :-)

Don.
From: Marjolein Katsma on
Surfer! (surfer(a)127.0.0.1) wrote in news:TzQbpRIYmH4DFwHh(a)nevis-
view.co.uk:

>>Now that "My Documents" *is* a prime example of MS stupidity! They're
>>not the files of the computer. And whose files are they anyway? Even
>>if you accept that "my" really means "yours" - how does that handle
>>multiple users (again)?
>
> If you check C:\Documents and Settings, it contains a sub-directory
> for each user (login name).

Of course - each user their own branch (no matter what it's under,
really): their data goes in *separate* locations.

I said before:

Me > No proof at all since for many programs different users can have
Me > their *own* settings; they need to be kept separate, of course.
Me > Which is proof settings *are* user data. ;-)

To which Don replied:

Don > No, that's a proof of undisciplined and incompetent so-called
Don > "programmers".

I fail to see how keeping different user's data separate is
"undiciplined" or "incompetent" - NOT keeping them separate would be!

> Win2K/XP does have all the stuff to control who can see what of other
> people's work though again I've never really investigated it as I
> don't have that need.

Exactly. Quite competent, in fact. ;-)

>>I always rename everything "my whatever" to "whatever". :D
>
> Apparently this is happening in the next windows, Vista... :)

Gosh - that's promising! ;)

> However think how powerful it was as a brand - for example, we have
> 'My Travel' in the UK, and probably quite a few other businesses who
> thought it cute/smart to follow the MS branding style.

All such firms have no chance with me - I consider them equally
childish. http://yourdictionary.com now, that's a clever site! (It
really is, too)

--
Marjolein Katsma
*Help with HomeSite/Studio: http://hshelp.com/
From: Marjolein Katsma on
Don (phoney.email(a)yahoo.com) wrote in

> But, you're absolutely right, it has a certain ring to it and has
> spread like wild fire.

The ring of "dumbed down to stupidity". Maybe appeals to people who like
to be pampered. :D

From: Marjolein Katsma on
Surfer! (surfer(a)127.0.0.1) wrote in news:SvPbeOQlgN4DFwmJ(a)nevis-
view.co.uk:

> Really? Why so? It's where Word etc. put documents by default. Seems
> OK to me. The 'My' means 'mine' rather than 'Freds'.

No, the computer is talkig *to* me - not *as* me. "My" on the computer is
"the computer's" - NOT mine!

I have never, ever accepted all this "my" silliness.

From: Marjolein Katsma on

>>In the *same* location for *different* users?
>
> Think about it. How are different desktop settings saved for different
> users?

In *different* lcoations - definitely not the same!

> Yes, each user has a separate directory for their system settings
> (e.g. desktop, etc) usually called the same as their login name.

You just called that "undisciplined and incompetent"! Which is why I asked
you to give me a conctete example of using the *same* location for
*different* user's data. What you come up with now is the exact opposite.

Never mind... :)