From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:13:41 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com wrote in
<c584879b-1976-4d86-ada7-e4cdb40f354d(a)f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>:

>On Aug 8, 1:18�pm, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> dagmargoodb...(a)yahoo.com wrote in
>

>> >Wondering what other designers do, I started picking up AA cells
>> >people toss on the road. �They're usually 1.3v, only 20% used for an
>> >alkaline cell.(*) �That's a sin. �If we're going to condone toss-awa=
>ys
>> >we ought to at least use them fully, don't you agree? �Keeps them off
>> >the road, out of the waste stream, and the user enjoys the longer run
>> >time too. �Win-win.
>>
>> Do not alkaline sort of go back up after you remove the load?
>> Zi effect?
>> May read 1.3 but could well read 1 V in a camera for example with a lot o=
>f current charging the flash
>> capacitor.
>
>Roadside batteries come mostly from joggers and MP3 addicts.
>Apparently joggers run on AA cells.

They wont get far that way :-)
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Mon, 09 Aug 2010 07:15:58 +1000) it happened Grant
<omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote in <4r6u56prg8d53gmcva02n2kcfvifb0o8u4(a)4ax.com>:

>>If the thing does not work right on an almost empty battery then 1000 is the best choice :-)
>
>It varies so much, my canon A580 camera reports Alkaline cell low too
>early, and doesn't like any but the best NiMH cells. So one can go on
>to take a few dozen shots sans flash (in warm weather) on alkaline
>before the cam packs it in and tells one to replace the battery.
>
>On NiMH it's only a few shots before death, battery is measured on
>load too.
>
>Some stuff on canon A590, now sadly expired, too expensive to fix.
>
> http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/
> http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/a590-power.html
> http://bugsplatter.id.au/chdk/a590-power-2.html
>
>Written up just over a year ago, examines power behaviour of A590 2 AA
>cell camera, probably roughly applies to other Canon models designed
>for 2 cell operation.
>
>Grant.

I have a canon A470.
Same story, but my NiMH holds out a bit longer.
I have never used it with non-rechargeables.
It sometimes reports empty, and that message then goes away after taking a lot of pics, beats me.
If you do not frequently take pictures, the low capacity NiMH last longer and have a lower self-discharge.
That means you wont face an empty battery when you need the camera.
My Duracell 2500 mAh are empty if left for a week or so, in this camera.
The Duracell 1700 mAh just lasts for several weeks, so I only use those.
There also exist 'Eneloop' batteries, those are NiMH that keep 85% charge for almost a year,
have slightly less capacity too, ideal if you only take pictures every now and then.
What it all boils down to, is that I always have some NiMH in the chargers, with 2 chargers running 24/7.
Then I have the Li-ion batteries for other camers too..
Then the laptop is charging.
Also have a huge sealed lead-acid on backup charge.
:-)

From: JosephKK on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:38:53 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was looking for some 9V rechargeable blocks to power my sign_led display,
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/sign_pic/
>to make it portable (put it in the car side window for example).
>Those are expensive, I had one but cannot find it.
>So I decided to build a small converter 1.2 to 5 V DC,
>singe AA cell about 2.2Ah should give about 10 hours..
> ______________|\|_________ +5
> | |/| |
> ---------------------------|-- Schottky |
> | | | 5.6_______ || ( | 5t |
> | | [ ] | 2t )|| (___| |
> | | |--- ---- || ( 2t __ __ |
> | | | | || | | | | | |
>1.2 V - === | | | --- ----- ===
>AA --- --- | | c NPN Si ---
>NiMH | |22u | ------ b |150u
> | | | e BC547 |
> | | === | |
> | | --- | |
> | | |1u | |
> Orignal Hand drawn ASCII
>That works OK, does not get hot, but maybe it can be done better.
>Input current is about 220mA, output about 30mA
>Waveform at the collector is a nice assymetrical square wave, but it is a bit a 'soft'
>output, loading it lowers the voltage a lot, high Zi.
>Also for the ferrite core I grabbed some old small filter core.
>no idea what stuff it is made of.
>I do use the battery voltage in series to improve efficiency,
>
>I know there are little chips for 1.2 to 5V or 3.3V,
>what is a good jellybean one?
>Preferably one I can see with the naked eye and can buy in Europe :-)

Hate to be picky but that efficiency is really poor, 240 mW in and 150
mW out. Maybe try a more standard boost configuration.
From: krw on
On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:32:23 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On a sunny day (Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:13:41 -0700 (PDT)) it happened
>dagmargoodboat(a)yahoo.com wrote in
><c584879b-1976-4d86-ada7-e4cdb40f354d(a)f6g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>:
>
>>On Aug 8, 1:18�pm, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealm...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> dagmargoodb...(a)yahoo.com wrote in

>>ys
>>>
>>> Do not alkaline sort of go back up after you remove the load?
>>> Zi effect?
>>> May read 1.3 but could well read 1 V in a camera for example with a lot o=
>>f current charging the flash
>>> capacitor.
>>
>>Roadside batteries come mostly from joggers and MP3 addicts.
>>Apparently joggers run on AA cells.
>
>They wont get far that way :-)

They keep going, and going, and going...
From: David Eather on
On 9/08/2010 9:20 AM, JosephKK wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:38:53 GMT, Jan Panteltje
> <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I was looking for some 9V rechargeable blocks to power my sign_led display,
>> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/sign_pic/
>> to make it portable (put it in the car side window for example).
>> Those are expensive, I had one but cannot find it.
>> So I decided to build a small converter 1.2 to 5 V DC,
>> singe AA cell about 2.2Ah should give about 10 hours..
>> ______________|\|_________ +5
>> | |/| |
>> ---------------------------|-- Schottky |
>> | | | 5.6_______ || ( | 5t |
>> | | [ ] | 2t )|| (___| |
>> | | |--- ---- || ( 2t __ __ |
>> | | | | || | | | | | |
>> 1.2 V - === | | | --- ----- ===
>> AA --- --- | | c NPN Si ---
>> NiMH | |22u | ------ b |150u
>> | | | e BC547 |
>> | | === | |
>> | | --- | |
>> | | |1u | |
>> Orignal Hand drawn ASCII
>> That works OK, does not get hot, but maybe it can be done better.
>> Input current is about 220mA, output about 30mA
>> Waveform at the collector is a nice assymetrical square wave, but it is a bit a 'soft'
>> output, loading it lowers the voltage a lot, high Zi.
>> Also for the ferrite core I grabbed some old small filter core.
>> no idea what stuff it is made of.
>> I do use the battery voltage in series to improve efficiency,
>>
>> I know there are little chips for 1.2 to 5V or 3.3V,
>> what is a good jellybean one?
>> Preferably one I can see with the naked eye and can buy in Europe :-)
>
> Hate to be picky but that efficiency is really poor, 240 mW in and 150
> mW out. Maybe try a more standard boost configuration.

I don't see the appeal compared to lt1110 - twice as many parts
including a custom transformer plus lower efficiency. Not really a
winner in my book.