From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Thu, 12 Aug 2010 19:07:41 +1000) it happened David Eather
<eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in <J9ydnW-V0eZDJP7RnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>:

>>> ______________|\|_________ +5 | |/| |
>>> ---------------------------|-- Schottky |
>>> | | | 5.6_______ || ( | 5t |
>>> | | [ ] | 2t )|| (___| |
>>> | | |--- ---- || ( 2t __ __ |
>>> | | | | || | | | | | |
>>> 1.2 V - === | | | --- ----- ===
>>> AA --- --- | | c NPN Si ---
>>> NiMH | |22u | ------ b |150u
>>> | | | e BC547 |
>>> | | === | |
>>> | | --- | | | | |1u | |

WOW!

>> I set off on a similar quest to power a PIC project in a "remote"
>> location.
>> While rummaging through the discount junk toys at Grocery Outlet,
>> I stumbled across a $5 ipod charger. It's a double size usb stick
>> with a 750mah lithium battery that charges from usb and puts out 5V
>> regulated up to 750ma. Got a battery level button/light.
>> Now, I don't have to build a charger or a regulator or, the most
>> difficult part,
>> a box to put it in...no nothing.
>> Plug and play.
>> Certainly not worth the original list price, but if you can find
>> one on closeout, they're easier than most anything you can do.
>> Doesn't have a switch, but if you don't load it, it stays charged for
>> weeks.
>
>Something like this
>
>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17836

Thats is nice :-)
Cannot beat that price.

>or this
>
>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40211
>
>or
>
>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30011

Not much sun here I am afraid, I once bought such a solar charger,
useless, I still use the battery box.
That was NiCad days, and the self discharge was more than the sun could deliver here.

From: Grant on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:52:38 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>WOW!
>

>>> I set off on a similar quest to power a PIC project in a "remote"
>>> location.
>>> While rummaging through the discount junk toys at Grocery Outlet,
>>> I stumbled across a $5 ipod charger. It's a double size usb stick
>>> with a 750mah lithium battery that charges from usb and puts out 5V
>>> regulated up to 750ma. Got a battery level button/light.
>>> Now, I don't have to build a charger or a regulator or, the most
>>> difficult part,
>>> a box to put it in...no nothing.
>>> Plug and play.
>>> Certainly not worth the original list price, but if you can find
>>> one on closeout, they're easier than most anything you can do.
>>> Doesn't have a switch, but if you don't load it, it stays charged for
>>> weeks.
>>
>>Something like this
>>
>>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17836
>
>Thats is nice :-)
>Cannot beat that price.
>

>>or this
>>
>>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40211
>>
>>or
>>
>>http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30011
>
>Not much sun here I am afraid, I once bought such a solar charger,
>useless, I still use the battery box.
>That was NiCad days, and the self discharge was more than the sun could deliver here.

Maybe you could use a sunlamp to run the solar charger? ;^)
From: David Eather on
On 12/08/2010 8:52 PM, Jan Panteltje wrote:

> WOW!
>

>>> I set off on a similar quest to power a PIC project in a "remote"
>>> location.
>>> While rummaging through the discount junk toys at Grocery Outlet,
>>> I stumbled across a $5 ipod charger. It's a double size usb stick
>>> with a 750mah lithium battery that charges from usb and puts out 5V
>>> regulated up to 750ma. Got a battery level button/light.
>>> Now, I don't have to build a charger or a regulator or, the most
>>> difficult part,
>>> a box to put it in...no nothing.
>>> Plug and play.
>>> Certainly not worth the original list price, but if you can find
>>> one on closeout, they're easier than most anything you can do.
>>> Doesn't have a switch, but if you don't load it, it stays charged for
>>> weeks.
>>
>> Something like this
>>
>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17836
>
> Thats is nice :-)
> Cannot beat that price.

This model works well. I have a couple. But sad to say there is another
model that is too small for fat rechargeable batteries and is the wrong
length - AA's need to have some magnets added to increase their length
(how can anyone get !that! so far wrong)

>> or this
>>
>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40211
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30011
>
> Not much sun here I am afraid, I once bought such a solar charger,
> useless, I still use the battery box.
> That was NiCad days, and the self discharge was more than the sun could deliver here.

These are LiPo - they should have a very low self discharge - I will
probably find out myself in a few weeks
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:35:11 +1000) it happened David Eather
<eather(a)tpg.com.au> wrote in <6fSdnVB6ONm_6vnRnZ2dnUVZ_tOdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>:

>>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17836
>>
>> Thats is nice :-)
>> Cannot beat that price.
>
>This model works well. I have a couple. But sad to say there is another
>model that is too small for fat rechargeable batteries and is the wrong
>length - AA's need to have some magnets added to increase their length
>(how can anyone get !that! so far wrong)

Here is my version:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/sign_pic/sign_pic_plus_converter_hardware_img_2279.jpg
Diagram is found here:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/sign_pic/

>>> or this
>>>
>>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.40211
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30011
>>
>> Not much sun here I am afraid, I once bought such a solar charger,
>> useless, I still use the battery box.
>> That was NiCad days, and the self discharge was more than the sun could deliver here.
>>

>These are LiPo - they should have a very low self discharge - I will
>probably find out myself in a few weeks

Let me know please.
Would be nice if it worked.