From: Artemus on

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Aug 2010 05:56:40 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Jan
> Panteltje <panteltje(a)gmail.com> wrote in
> <081bd806-cb72-4733-b3ae-2ffde3fa08e2(a)w30g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>:
>
> >On Aug 3, 7:32 am, "Tim Williams" <tmoran...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> >> The trick is to put a regulator around it. The worst thing about a fix=
> >ed bias circuit is it cooks the transistor if your load opens up!
> >>
> >> This works, if a bit cheezy:http://myweb.msoe.edu/williamstm/Images/Block=
> >ing%20Oscillator%20Suppl...
> >>
> >> Once the output voltage comes up, all sorts of regulation schemes can be =
> >applied using slightly more voltage-hungry approaches (TLV431, etc.). Yo=
> >u could even use a small one to provide bias for a FET circuit, which could=
> > keep working to arbitrarily low voltages (not that you can get any current=
> > out of aAAAat 0.2V).
> >>
> >> Tim
> >
> >Tim, great, nice regulator.
> >Did not see your reply in my newsreader, so I did see Grant reply,
> >looked it up with google.
>
> PS
> I build your circuit, and it works perfectly, even with almost empty NiMHs.
> Will make a little PCB for it, and use that, it seems more efficient then my
version.
> No need to order some chip :-)
> Here is the setup, I use the box to switch between full and almost empty NiMH
batteries.
> ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_test_img_2249.jpg
> This is the collector waveform:
> ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_Vce_img_2250.jpg
> The 7805 on the LED PCB is disconnected, I go in after that.
> Project page:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/pic/sign_pic/index.html
>
> Thanks :-)

That basic circuit (less the OVP) looks very much like the
joule thief circuit. There are lots of sites on this and here
is two:
http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/LEDTorchCircuits/LEDTorchCircuits-P1.html
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/joule.htm
Art

From: Grant on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:33:19 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>PS
>>>I build your circuit, and it works perfectly, even with almost empty NiMHs.
>>>Will make a little PCB for it, and use that, it seems more efficient then my version.
>>>No need to order some chip :-)
>>>Here is the setup, I use the box to switch between full and almost empty NiMH batteries.
>>> ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_test_img_2249.jpg
>>
>>So any old ferrite will do for a small converter? That one looks
>>like a filter ferrite?
>>
>>Grant.
>
>Yes, this is the filter that IIRC was around the cable of an old keyboard (inside the keyboard).
>Most cores I try just work, a smaller one than this should work here too,
>but I have used all thsoe.
>Time is expert on magnetics, you do need a bit of permeability, else
>you need so many turns.

It's good to see something useful with so few turns. I tend to use
storebought inductors so I know what value I'm dealing with, which is
good for getting a switcher going easily. Not the cheapest way.

Grant.
From: Rich Webb on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:42:44 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 12:26:49 -0400, Rich Webb <bbew.ar(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:47:15 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:
>>
>>>OT: Does Agent have a line rewrap function? I can't find it,
>>>would save me propagating Tim's endless lines when I'm too lazy
>>>to manually reformat (no I don't mean the line length setting,
>>>I need to break that sometimes too).
>>
>>From the menu, View | Word Wrap, or just press the "O" key to toggle
>>between wrapped and as-sent.
>
>Thanks, I know of that one. I forgot to say I was after a line
>rewrap function for use while composing a reply, to rewrap the OP's
>post. Some user agents have that feature, but I can't find it on
>Agent.
>
>Sometimes I'll rewrap manually, but it's messy putting in the '> '
>in front of each new line. Or, I could rewrap a line, then cut
>the block and paste as quoted to get the '> ' fitted.
>
>Is there an easy quicker way to do that in Agent?

Hmm... The obvious way of Ctrl-C copying the source text and then "paste
as quote" seems to keep the original line lengths. Rats.

The only clean way seems to be getting the original text into a editor,
reformatting then copying from there and pasting back into Agent.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:30:02 -0400, Rich Webb
<bbew.ar(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:42:44 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>>>From the menu, View | Word Wrap, or just press the "O" key to toggle
>>>between wrapped and as-sent.
>>
>>Thanks, I know of that one. I forgot to say I was after a line
>>rewrap function for use while composing a reply, to rewrap the OP's
>>post. Some user agents have that feature, but I can't find it on
>>Agent.
>>
>>Sometimes I'll rewrap manually, but it's messy putting in the '> '
>>in front of each new line. Or, I could rewrap a line, then cut
>>the block and paste as quoted to get the '> ' fitted.
>>
>>Is there an easy quicker way to do that in Agent?
>
>Hmm... The obvious way of Ctrl-C copying the source text and then "paste
>as quote" seems to keep the original line lengths. Rats.
>
>The only clean way seems to be getting the original text into a editor,
>reformatting then copying from there and pasting back into Agent.

That's what I did as a test... paste into UltraEdit, reformat
paragraph width, then add the >'s.

As I use UltraEdit extensively to conform strange Spice variants to
PSpice, I suspect the whole thing can be with a macro... all
automated.

Actually I have several macros in Macro Express that trim quotes, for
example, any lines with more than 4 >>>> go bye-bye automatically ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Grant on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 17:47:42 -0700, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:30:02 -0400, Rich Webb
><bbew.ar(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>>>Thanks, I know of that one. I forgot to say I was after a line
>>>rewrap function for use while composing a reply, to rewrap the OP's
>>>post. Some user agents have that feature, but I can't find it on
>>>Agent.
>>>
>>>Sometimes I'll rewrap manually, but it's messy putting in the '> '
>>>in front of each new line. Or, I could rewrap a line, then cut
>>>the block and paste as quoted to get the '> ' fitted.
>>>
>>>Is there an easy quicker way to do that in Agent?
>>
>>Hmm... The obvious way of Ctrl-C copying the source text and then "paste
>>as quote" seems to keep the original line lengths. Rats.
>>
>>The only clean way seems to be getting the original text into a editor,
>>reformatting then copying from there and pasting back into Agent.
>
>That's what I did as a test... paste into UltraEdit, reformat
>paragraph width, then add the >'s.

Yeah, I don't often care enough to do that, unless I'm breaking up a
paragraph to respond to points raised within.

Years ago I used to call out to an editor frequently, when writing
code under dos or windows, but since writing software on Linux
became my 'normal' environment, only time recently I'm calling
out to an editor in recent times is to snag LTSpice example and
drop it into a name.asc file. Using Notepad++ these days, I did
use ultraedit years ago. And, to view unix text files.

>As I use UltraEdit extensively to conform strange Spice variants to
>PSpice, I suspect the whole thing can be with a macro... all
>automated.
>
>Actually I have several macros in Macro Express that trim quotes, for
>example, any lines with more than 4 >>>> go bye-bye automatically ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

Grant.