From: Grant on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:30:02 -0400, Rich Webb <bbew.ar(a)mapson.nozirev.ten> wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 08:42:44 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>>>From the menu, View | Word Wrap, or just press the "O" key to toggle
>>>between wrapped and as-sent.
>>
>>Thanks, I know of that one. I forgot to say I was after a line
>>rewrap function for use while composing a reply, to rewrap the OP's
>>post. Some user agents have that feature, but I can't find it on
>>Agent.
>>
>>Sometimes I'll rewrap manually, but it's messy putting in the '> '
>>in front of each new line. Or, I could rewrap a line, then cut
>>the block and paste as quoted to get the '> ' fitted.
>>
>>Is there an easy quicker way to do that in Agent?
>
>Hmm... The obvious way of Ctrl-C copying the source text and then "paste
>as quote" seems to keep the original line lengths. Rats.
>
>The only clean way seems to be getting the original text into a editor,
>reformatting then copying from there and pasting back into Agent.

I'll stay with add newlines, then cut paste as quote to get the '>',
when it occurs to me ;)

Grant.
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 04 Aug 2010 10:08:30 +1000) it happened Grant
<omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote in <uobh56phejv8fgbc92k72n10fn8c9v53se(a)4ax.com>:

>>Yes, this is the filter that IIRC was around the cable of an old keyboard (inside the keyboard).
>>Most cores I try just work, a smaller one than this should work here too,
>>but I have used all thsoe.
>>Time is expert on magnetics, you do need a bit of permeability, else
>>you need so many turns.
>
>It's good to see something useful with so few turns. I tend to use
>storebought inductors so I know what value I'm dealing with, which is
>good for getting a switcher going easily. Not the cheapest way.
>
>Grant.

Here is a test with a 'store bought' inductor, well, I took it from some old PCB,
ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_img_2252.jpg
This is that coil in detail, I added a 5 turns secondary for feedback :-)
Also changed the diode for a smaller Schottky.
The effect is that the frequency drops a lot, and efficiency goes up a bit.
I measure this:
In 90 mA at 1.222 V -> 0.10998 W
Out 13.87 mA at 5.53 V -> 0.07670 W
This gives an efficiency of 69.74 %.
The frequency is 37 kHz.
With a 2300 mA NiMH rechargeable the thing will work for 25.55 hours exactly.
I am satisfied,
It should also work with high efficiency LEDs or LEDs that drop close to 3 V.
That is why I use a 5V supply, and not 3.3.

I forgot to measure this inductor, in fact I should also design an inductance meter,
but it could be as much as 160 uH, if they followed the application note in the thing I took it from.
(A L4962A based switcher), but it could be far less.

An efficiency of say 70 % does not seem much, but is difficult to improve at 1.2V,
due to the Vce sat of the transistor I think.
Maybe things could be tweaked a bit to 75 %, but likely not much more.
From: Jan Panteltje on
On a sunny day (Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:31:50 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in <i3c4lv$1uh$1(a)news.albasani.net>:

>This is that coil in detail, I added a 5 turns secondary for feedback :-)
Forgot lthe link:
ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_coil_detail_img_2256.jpg
From: Jan Panteltje on
On Aug 2, 6:09 pm, "IanM" <nos...(a)nospam.co.uk> wrote:

> I know there are little chips for 1.2 to 5V or 3.3V,
> > what is a good jellybean one?
> > Preferably one I can see with the naked eye and can buy in Europe :-)
>
> Have a look at  Sipex SP6641A - I used it with 2 cells, but it is
> specced to 0.9 volts

Nice chip, MOS switch, abd that at such a low voltage.
It sure is smaller then the discrete circuit I have now,
Efficiency seems about the same for the A and a bit better for the B
version.
For sure something to keep in mind if this ever becomes a big series.
From: Grant on
On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:42:27 GMT, Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On a sunny day (Wed, 04 Aug 2010 16:31:50 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
><pNaonStpealmtje(a)yahoo.com> wrote in <i3c4lv$1uh$1(a)news.albasani.net>:
>
>>This is that coil in detail, I added a 5 turns secondary for feedback :-)
>Forgot lthe link:
> ftp://panteltje.com/pub/1.2_to_5V_converter_coil_detail_img_2256.jpg

Yes, I saved a few of that style from dismantling old gear.

Grant.