From: Jeff Johnson on
"Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message

> Thanks. I basically have to examine the bit patterns to determine.
> I understand the ASCII, it is the Unicode I have some trouble with. I know
> it is 16 bits insteads of 8. But in VB/debug window, I have never been
> able to see a 16 bits character, maybe it does not display on the screen.
> Do you know what i am talking ?
> For the character 'A', how can I see the full 16 bits pattern in VB ?

I believe you can use the AscW() function to find this. If you get a value
back > 255, I'd say you can safely assume it's a non-English character.

From: Phil Hunt on
Thanks. It is good enough for me. Always wonder what AscW is used for.

From: Jeff Johnson on

> Thanks. It is good enough for me. Always wonder what AscW is used for.

The W is for "wide," which is an old term for characters stored in 2 bytes
instead of one. (They're twice as wide!)

From: Jim Mack on
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> "Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks. I basically have to examine the bit patterns to determine.
>> I understand the ASCII, it is the Unicode I have some trouble
>> with. I know it is 16 bits insteads of 8. But in VB/debug window,
>> I have never been able to see a 16 bits character, maybe it does
>> not display on the screen. Do you know what i am talking ?
>> For the character 'A', how can I see the full 16 bits pattern in
>> VB ?
>
> I believe you can use the AscW() function to find this. If you get
> a value back > 255, I'd say you can safely assume it's a
> non-English character.

Not even close. To prove that, in the Immediate Window:

For Idx = 128 to 160: ? Idx, AscW(Chr(Idx)) :Next

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc
From: Phil Hunt on
Ok, I 'll make it > 128

"Jim Mack" <jmack(a)mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> "Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Thanks. I basically have to examine the bit patterns to determine.
>>> I understand the ASCII, it is the Unicode I have some trouble
>>> with. I know it is 16 bits insteads of 8. But in VB/debug window,
>>> I have never been able to see a 16 bits character, maybe it does
>>> not display on the screen. Do you know what i am talking ?
>>> For the character 'A', how can I see the full 16 bits pattern in
>>> VB ?
>>
>> I believe you can use the AscW() function to find this. If you get
>> a value back > 255, I'd say you can safely assume it's a
>> non-English character.
>
> Not even close. To prove that, in the Immediate Window:
>
> For Idx = 128 to 160: ? Idx, AscW(Chr(Idx)) :Next
>
> --
> Jim Mack
> Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc
> "We sew confusion"