From: Jim Mack on
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> "Jim Mack" <jmack(a)mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> I believe you can use the AscW() function to find this. If you get
>>> a value back > 255, I'd say you can safely assume it's a
>>> non-English character.
>>
>> Not even close.
>
> I never said if it's 255 or less it's guaranteed to be an English
> character, I said if it's ABOVE 255 it's pretty much guaranteed to
> NOT be an English character. There is a difference.

And yet the first assertion is mostly correct and the second isn't.

Which the code snippet clearly shows: AscW() produces more than a
dozen results >255 for characters that would be considered English
since they're in the '1033' character set.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: Jeff Johnson on

>>> Not even close.
>>
>> I never said if it's 255 or less it's guaranteed to be an English
>> character, I said if it's ABOVE 255 it's pretty much guaranteed to
>> NOT be an English character. There is a difference.
>
> And yet the first assertion is mostly correct and the second isn't.
>
> Which the code snippet clearly shows: AscW() produces more than a
> dozen results >255 for characters that would be considered English
> since they're in the '1033' character set.

Ahhhh, I see where you're going with this. And it makes me realize I was
unclear (or rather, I was making an assumption based on what I thought the
poster wanted). I interpreted "non-English CHARACTER" to mean "non-English
LETTER." Almost everything in the range of your example code was not a
letter but rather some form of punctuation, and I don't consider punctuation
to be language-specific.

From: Jeff Johnson on
"Jim Mack" <jmack(a)mdxi.nospam.com> wrote in message

> Which the code snippet clearly shows: AscW() produces more than a
> dozen results >255 for characters that would be considered English
> since they're in the '1033' character set.

[Sent the previous reply too soon.]

Your comment about how they would be considered English since they're in the
1033 code page (or whatever that is) is actually the crux of my first reply.
DOES the poster actually consider all of those to be English?

From: Phil Hunt on
Thanks to all who replied. After reading all the posts, I think I should
stick with
"0 - 127 is english assumption". It is safer in the context of this issue I
have.

From: Jim Mack on
Jeff Johnson wrote:
> "Jim Mack" wrote...
>
>> Which the code snippet clearly shows: AscW() produces more than a
>> dozen results >255 for characters that would be considered English
>> since they're in the '1033' character set.
>
> [Sent the previous reply too soon.]
>
> Your comment about how they would be considered English since
> they're in the 1033 code page (or whatever that is) is actually the
> crux of my first reply. DOES the poster actually consider all of
> those to be English?

Maybe he'll see and respond. It's a question about what he wants to
classify and why, but in fact if you examine the normal output of many
modern text editing / word-processing programs, you will very likely
find characters that fall in the range I called out.

If you passed such text through the AscW() test, it would fail. That's
what I was pointing out.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc