From: Mike Williams on
"Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message

> Thanks to all who replied. After reading all the posts, I think
> I should stick with "0 - 127 is english assumption". It is safer
> in the context of this issue I have.

Actually that's not a valid assumption. It is possible to have non-English
text that contains only characters in that range, and it is actually quite
common to have English text that contains characters outside it, such as the
pound sign (�) for example.

Mike

From: Phil Hunt on
Actually my problem is quite the opposite, I have a printer that print
english well in native font. Printing mixed language is possible with true
front but very slow. My objective is not to mix them up.

text to start with and

From: Helmut Meukel on

"Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Actually my problem is quite the opposite, I have a printer that print english
> well in native font. Printing mixed language is possible with true front but
> very slow. My objective is not to mix them up.

Hmm, so you want to use the built-in printer font for speed.
Then you have the problem of codes representing different
characters in the fonts used to create the texts and your built-in
printer font, isn't it?

How about printing a table with the codes and the corresponding
Character of this font (probably there is one already in the printer
docs).

Then use CharMap.exe to check the Truetype fonts and codepages
probably used in creating the texts against your printed table. Depending
on your situation this may be only a few.
Cross out all which are different. You'll finally have a list of codes with the
same character representation in all fonts and codepages you checked.

Store this list in an array, check the text to print against this array of
codes and select the printer font accordingly.

HTH.

Helmut.

From: Nobody on
"Phil Hunt" <aaa(a)aaa.com> wrote in message
> Actually my problem is quite the opposite, I have a printer that print
> english well in native font. Printing mixed language is possible with true
> front but very slow. My objective is not to mix them up.

To tell the range of Unicode characters that a specific font supports, you
can call GetFontUnicodeRanges(). However, this works with the fonts
installed on the system, not the printer. Some fonts have Unicode in the
name, but they don't implement all Unicode characters. Search the news
groups for "vb GetFontUnicodeRanges" for samples.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Phil Hunt wrote:
> What is the best way to determine if a string contains "non Eglish" character
> ?

Define "English", test for your definition.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |