From: Gavin Scott on
Eugene Miya <eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> The original Lucasfilm numbers for requirements (pixels) were fairly
> impressive as well. 16K on a size with 32-bit of color depth including alpha.

A one gigabyte frame buffer? What would thay have fed it with? Even
today most film stuff is only rendered at 2K.

> I would suggest 1 step beyond PC 3D to network 3D. A friend visited
> Cameron with Katzenberg (who insisted that he was not a technologist) one day
> on the Avatar set. That friend is actually attempting a new venture
> attempting to hire interns (cloudpic.com if people are interested).

CloudPic looks like wide-area asset management, which is probably useful
but not interesting. I'm sure the Avatar production had most of those
issues solved considering their world-wide distributed teams.

More interesting will be real-time collaboration using the virtual
photography and real-time performance capture -> rendered preview
stuff that Cameron and company are doing. The Avatar production gives
a nice preview of the future, but we're not yet there for portraying
human beings. Works awesome for 3m tall blue alien human/animal
morphs though (basically standing with one foot on either side of
the "uncanny valley").

G.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Robert Myers <rbmyersusa(a)gmail.com> writes:
> Even Boeing had to sell time on its Cray to justify it, and the
> important thing about a Cray at the time was that it always had
> potential customers, unlike the one-off machines of today. Then, as
> now, only the government could make silly purchases and not go out of
> business.

I was undergraudate and responsible for IT stuff at the univ.

about the time Boeing Computer Services was being formed ... the univ.
datacenter had just gone thru a phase with the state legislature being
made an independent entity ... the legislature than had to allocate
univ. dept. budgets for different places to "buy" services from the
univ. datacenter. the univ. datacenter then was also allowed to sell
dataprocessing services to other state agencies and gov. operations.

It looked like Boeing was attempting to do something similar with BCS
.... turning dataprocessing from a purely overhead expense item into
something that looked like P&L (even tho much of it was internal funny
money) ... but also allowed to sell dataprocessing services to
operations outside of Boeing.

I was con'ed into spending spring vacation teaching 40hr class to the
BCS technical staff (was only about half dozen people at the time)
.... and then was con'ed into becoming a full-time BCS employee for the
summer (I got some sort of upper level designation that allowed me to
park in one of the nearer lots at boeing field, I was still within first
two dozen bcs employees ... possibly even within first dozen bcs
employees).

BCS was being scaffoled off of corporate hdqtrs administrative
dataprocessing ... which had a 360/30 primarily for doing payroll. In
theory BCS was going to take over control of the other major
dataprocessing ... big datacenter operation down in renton field ... and
the new one that went in up at Everett. That summer on visits to renton
datacenter ... there were constantly pieces of 360/65s sitting in the
hallways outside the datacenter ... 360/65s were arriving faster than
they could be installed (possibly eventually 20-30? 360/65s ... between
renton and everett). There were all sorts of political discussions about
getting head of renton (with dozens of high-end 360s and other
computers) to report to corporate hdqtrs guy responsible for 360/30.

That summer, they also installed (single processor) 360/67 for running
cp67/cms online timesharing in the corporate hdqtrs 360/30 computer
room. That summer they also moved the duplex 360/67 from boeing
huntsville to seattle boeing aerospace.

renton also had at least one 360/75 (did some amount of classified work
.... had black cloth that was pulled over the 360/75 front panel lights
when running classified work ... also the view windows on the 1403
printers were covered, perimeter of the 360/76 area was also roped off)
and i believe (one or more) cdc6600 in the renton datacenter.

renton was pegged at having something like $300M in ibm 360s. there was
study about business continuity ... something about renton datacenter
being in the mudslide path from MT. Rainier. This was used to have a
complete replicated operation in Everett ... supposedly if the
dataprocessing provided by the renton center was unavailable for a week
.... it would cost Boeing more than the complete cost of the datacenter.

At the end-of-the-summer ... they did the paper work to have me take
employee educational leave of abscence to go back to school. When I
finally graduated ... I went with the science center in boston
.... rather than returning to boeing.

Current Boeing website claims that BCS wasn't officially formed until
the following year.
http://www.boeing.com/history/narrative/n071boe.html

from above:

Boeing Computer Services (BCS), an independent subsidiary of the
company. Within three years, BCS had six sales offices to market five
commercial computer products -- including BCS/Mainstream, a time-sharing
computer service used by 148 government and commercial customers.

.... snip ...

BCS did get some federal contracts. I remember visiting the BCS office
(in 70s) in washington (DC) area ... and being shown how they had used
cms\apl to do the financial modeling for justifying 1st class postage
stamp price increase (contract with usps).

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010c.html#89 Notes on two presentations by Gordon Bell ca. 1998

also from the BCS history page (not being officially formed until the
following year)

In 1970, 13 different computing organizations in Boeing, each supporting
different operations within the company, were combined as Boeing
Computer Services (BCS), an independent subsidiary of the
company. Within three years, BCS had six sales offices to market five
commercial computer products -- including BCS/Mainstream, a time-sharing
computer service used by 148 government and commercial customers.

.... snip ...

also in the reference boeing history page ... click "next narrative" and gets
http://www.boeing.com/history/narrative/n072boe.html

from above:

During the 1980s, Boeing Computer Services headquarters were on a
90-acre site in Bellevue, Wash. The organization also served the federal
government from a large facility in Vienna, Va.

BCS designed, installed and operated a nationwide telecommunications
network for NASA and provided voice, data, facsimile and full-motion
video across the network using the CRAY X-MP supercomputer.

.... snip ...

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970
From: Paul Wallich on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Feb 10, 5:37 pm, Rick Jones <rick.jon...(a)hp.com> wrote:
>> Robert Myers <rbmyers...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Andy Glew has said that a supercomputer is nothing but a big, multi-
>>> tiered switch. That is certainly what supercomputers have come to
>>> be, and I don't want to give the impression that I think even the
>>> lame interconnects we get are necessarily trivial.
>> Does it even have to be a "supercomputer" to look like a big
>> multi-tiered switch?
>>
> The term supercomputer is now nearly meaningless, so there's no point
> in haggling over it. ;-)
>
>> So, a system near to my paycheck - HP Superdome - a "cell based" (no,
>> not *that* cell thank you very much :) system - two processors on an
>> FSB with an agent chip that speaks to an interconnect fabric. I
>> suspect it would be considered a "real" computer produced by "real"
>> architects and developers. (those feeling snarky are encouraged to
>> send your snarks in direct email)
>>
> I'll use your mention of Superdome to return to a subject presumed
> dead, which is Itanium:
>
> http://www.tgdaily.com/networking-brief/48339-intel-itanium-outsells-amd-opteron
>
> "Intel kicked off its Itanium presentation today by saying the
> Itanium's system revenue since the introduction of 2001 has crossed
> the $5 billion mark. That outsells total sales of AMD's Opterons."

Just a nit, and the original article is just stenography, but isn't
there something wrong with comparing the dollar value of boxes
containing a chip with the dollar value of a single chip?

paul
From: Robert Myers on
On Feb 10, 8:34 pm, Paul Wallich <p...(a)panix.com> wrote:

> Just a nit, and the original article is just stenography, but isn't
> there something wrong with comparing the dollar value of boxes
> containing a chip with the dollar value of a single chip?

I wouldn't know how to scrub marketing claims if my life depended on
it. If they've got the balls to put the claim out there, I've got the
balls to repeat it. Caveat lector. *Someone* doesn't regard Itanium
as a dead issue.

Robert.