From: leonardevens on
Recently, after updating, I get the message
"Office Genuine Advantage has encountered a problem and needs to close"
asking me to send an error report, which I do. This time I asked for more
information and it gave me a website from which I could dowload
OGAnotifier,msi to deal with the problem. But I can't find any instructions
about what to do with it. I suppose I can just execute it, but I would like
to be sure it is genuine and not the result of some scam Aslo, I would like
to know more about what is ogin on.
--
Leonard Evens
From: Dian D. Chapman, MVP on
It is legit. Is your software? If your software is a legal copy, then
it appears you're simply being told that the OGA notifier isn't
properly installed and it must be to continue. So install it. However,
if your software is not legal, this will be a bigger problem. The OGA
is a way for MS to help stop piracy.

You can read more here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
Tech Editor for Word & Office 2007 Bibles
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Dian's Soldiers' Angels Blankets
http://www.mousetrax.com/dian/angels.html

Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html
Free Computer Tutorials: http://www.techtrax.us

From: leonardevens on

--
Leonard Evens

"Dian D. Chapman, MVP" wrote:

> It is legit. Is your software? If your software is a legal copy, then
> it appears you're simply being told that the OGA notifier isn't
> properly installed and it must be to continue. So install it. However,
> if your software is not legal, this will be a bigger problem. The OGA
> is a way for MS to help stop piracy.
>
> You can read more here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810
>

> Dian D. Chapman
> Technical Consultant, Microsoft MVP
> MOS Certified Instructor, Editor/TechTrax Ezine
> Tech Editor for Word & Office 2007 Bibles
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman
>
> Dian's Soldiers' Angels Blankets
> http://www.mousetrax.com/dian/angels.html
>
> Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
> Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html
> Free Computer Tutorials: http://www.techtrax.us
>

> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 08:41:02 -0700, leonardevens
> <leonardevens(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Recently, after updating, I get the message
> >"Office Genuine Advantage has encountered a problem and needs to close"
> >asking me to send an error report, which I do. This time I asked for more
> >information and it gave me a website from which I could dowload
> >OGAnotifier,msi to deal with the problem. But I can't find any instructions
> >about what to do with it. I suppose I can just execute it, but I would like
> >to be sure it is genuine and not the result of some scam Aslo, I would like
> >to know more about what is ogin on.

I think it is genuine, but I am not sure. I have had it for quite a long
time. My wife was given the installation CD in an original Jewel case with
a code for installing. I had no problem installing it.

But I don't think you answered my question. I get the message when I
login, not when I try to use Office. The web page you referred me to says
that I should get a message when I use the program.

What happens if I run OGAnotifier.msi?

If it is not genuine, can I stop these notifications by just removing office
from my machine. I can just as well use open office, and I usually do so.

From: Dian D. Chapman, MVP on
Okay, sorry for the confusion. Since your original post did not
mention anything about logging on vs using Office, I didn't understand
that fact.

To find out if your version is legit, you can validate it here:
http://tiny.cc/bzVpy (a Microsoft link, shortened for your
convenience).

As for what will happens when you install it, to be honest with you, I
don't know for sure because I've never had an illegal copy and never
tried or needed to run that file. But since it is an MS installation
file to install the OGA "notifier" I can assume that the notification
program on your computer is having problems connecting with MS, so
this install will fix the problem. As to the results, I don't know
either because that will depend on whether you are using legit or
illegal software.

Finally, since I've never dealt with this particular file before, I
simply Googled it to see what info I could find for you...which I
previously posted. Assuming that wasn't all you needed, you can go to
this Google search result and check other details...some of which are
hacks to deal with the OGA. Up to you as to whether to trust those or
not.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=ig&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22OGAnotifier.msi%22&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Good luck...

Dian D. Chapman
Technical Consultant & Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified Instructor,
Editor/TechTrax Ezine, Technical Editor/Word & Office 2007 Bibles
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Dian.Chapman

Dian's Soldiers' Site
http://www.mousetrax.com/Angels

Free Word Tricks eBook: http://www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Learn VBA the easy way: http://www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html
Free Computer Tutorials: http://www.techtrax.us

On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 04:04:01 -0700, leonardevens

From: DaveBurnett on
I am now getting the same error on start up of WINDOWS XP Pro
It started after an update, so ?I assume it is a BAD version of OGA and will
be fixed????