From: Jens R. Rasmussen on
Hi,

I have a pc running XP and a printer connected to LPT3 (i dont know why 3,
for I only have one LPT port). From windows I can send a print job to the
printer without problems. However when I try to send a print job from command
promt, i.e. 'PRINT filename', nothing happens and I get the error message
'Unable to iniliatize device PRN'.

I installed the LPT device recently - so may be I have to set some
parameters for command promt somewhere?

Can anybody help me?

regards
Jens
From: ANONYMOUS on
In windows you can't use a print command. This used to be a DOS command
but in Windows you can try this:

copy FILENAME.txt lpt3 /b

where FILENAME.txt is your file name and lpt3 is your printer port.
Please also note that DON'T send a binary file to the prn port because
you will only get gibberish and lots of paper waste.

If LPT3 gives you an error then just replace it with LPT.

Hope this helps.

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <eKwrkAuQKHA.220(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Anonymous wrote:
> In windows you can't use a print command. This used to be a DOS command
> but in Windows you can try this:
>
> copy FILENAME.txt lpt3 /b
>
> where FILENAME.txt is your file name and lpt3 is your printer port.
> Please also note that DON'T send a binary file to the prn port because
> you will only get gibberish and lots of paper waste.

True; but since that's the case, you don't need the /b (which says to copy BINARY
... meaning "Don't stop copying if you encounter a Ctrl+Z character, which'd
normally mean END OF FILE")

/B is useful if you've printed to file from the print dialog box; in that case,
the output might well BE binary. As long as you're COPY /B ing it to the same
printer type as was targeted in the print dialog box, it's the only way to make
it work.

From: Jens R. Rasmussen on
Thanks so far to both Anonymous and Steve. But I think I forgot to tell You
the following important thing:

On my old pc I can print from command promt - but from the new pc, I can't.

Both pc's are running xp. The only differens is that the new pc was not born
with a LPT-port, so I had to buy such a port and install it. That is why my
guess is, that I have to configure it in some way - but which way?

Why do I want to print from command prompt? Because I have a very important
- but old - program, which makes and sends billings to a matrix printer - and
'yes' it is written in DOS. It works perfect from the old xp-computer - but
nothing happens from the new computer.

So do you know how I can configure the port or configure command promt - so
my DOS-program can send the print jobs to the new pc as well as it can to the
old pc?

regards
/Jens

From: Bob I on
This groups primary focus is Microsoft Office applications, so perhaps
the folks over in the Windows XP hardware group could give you some
guidance. FWIW in the old DOS world, PRN was LPT1, and if you set that
port up to be LPT1 (check the documentation that came with the card) you
would probably have more success.