From: Pete on
Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 22:01:28 -0800 (PST), BD <robert.drea(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> I guess that's why P&S cameras beat the resolution and images from a
>>> Canon
>>> 7D. That says a whole lot for all other brands and models of DSLRs then
>>> if
>>> the 7D is setting a standard for DSLRs.
>>>
>>> http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/the-canon-7d/
>>
>>I posted a link to that article quite awhile ago, when I was concerned
>>about the 7D's image quality.
>>
>>I'm not concerned any longer.
>>
>>In the past few months, the only article I've seen posted which
>>asserts any negative feedback about the 7D's IQ is the Wiggett
>>article.
>>
>>That fact alone is pretty telling.
>

> This is always a problem when testing a single sample, whether it be a
> camera, a lens or anything else. No matter which price bracket the
> item is in, there will always be sample variation. And the Wiggett
> test is clearly of a sample that did not achieve the expected
> standard. It should have been exchanged for another sample.

It was, twice: see "A Second and Third 7D Body" in link above.

> As you say, every other article on the 7D is very positive. It is a
> fine camera, and Nikon has a real job on its hands to match it. Nikon
> also needs to respond to the entry-level EOS 550D/Rebel T2i which
> appears to use the same sensor as the 7D.

As you both say, other articles are positive. Just because there's a very
small chance of getting three duff bodies doesn't mean it didn't happen to
Wiggett, a fourth, fifth and so on, may have produced better results. There
is the possibilty that something other than the 7D performance affected the
result. Most tests/reviews use pseudoscience, especially in that the claims
can neither be proved nor disproved independently.

Pete

From: John Sheehy on
D.J. <nocontact(a)noaddress.com> wrote in

> It's not his opinion that I depend on, I never depend on anyone's
> opinion. It's the comparison photos posted that say more than you or
> anyone else ever will.

The loudest thing it says is that zero sharpening in the converter was
actually a blur, not zero sharpening.

Anyone who uses "zero sharpening" as reported by a converter, as a basis of
equality, doesn't know what they're doing. Different cameras can have
wildly differeng meanings of sharpening, and "zero sharpening", even in the
same converter.
From: FrankS on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:36:35 -0000, "Pete"
<available.on.request(a)aserver.com> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:

>>>I posted a link to that article quite awhile ago, when I was concerned
>>>about the 7D's image quality.
>>>
>>>I'm not concerned any longer.
>>>
>>>In the past few months, the only article I've seen posted which
>>>asserts any negative feedback about the 7D's IQ is the Wiggett
>>>article.
>>>
>>>That fact alone is pretty telling.
>>

>> This is always a problem when testing a single sample, whether it be a
>> camera, a lens or anything else. No matter which price bracket the
>> item is in, there will always be sample variation. And the Wiggett
>> test is clearly of a sample that did not achieve the expected
>> standard. It should have been exchanged for another sample.
>
>It was, twice: see "A Second and Third 7D Body" in link above.
>
>> As you say, every other article on the 7D is very positive. It is a
>> fine camera, and Nikon has a real job on its hands to match it. Nikon
>> also needs to respond to the entry-level EOS 550D/Rebel T2i which
>> appears to use the same sensor as the 7D.
>
>As you both say, other articles are positive. Just because there's a very
>small chance of getting three duff bodies doesn't mean it didn't happen to
>Wiggett, a fourth, fifth and so on, may have produced better results. There
>is the possibilty that something other than the 7D performance affected the
>result. Most tests/reviews use pseudoscience, especially in that the claims
>can neither be proved nor disproved independently.
>
>Pete

The "other articles'" positive reviews doesn't detract in any way from
Wiggett's findings. Unless the "other articles" are also comparing the 7D
to the same P&S cameras nobody can tell how they compare.

"See? Those images are just fine! As long as we don't compare them to a P&S
camera we can still feel all warm and fuzzy about our shiny new DSLR."

Out of sight--out of their minds. Putting their blinders on to justify
their favored product has never been more apparent than this. Lower your
hemlines, girls, your biased conflict-of-interests are showing.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ACDSee 3.0 Pro + Nikon D90
Next: Then end of FF bulk?