From: Whiteford on
Ah, this old DC is in _msdcs zone in DNS, but I can't remove it.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:32:31 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

>Thanks for finding the time to help on this, but still no luck.
>
>Is it possible to remove Exchange 2003 attributes from AD? I can then
>rebuild it from scratch, same name, SG's, DB's etc, the structure?

You can, but I'm guessing you'll still have the problem. Exchange,
assuming the DC isn't set in the registry, is finding the DC somehow.
Dunno how, but it's either in the AD sites as an NTDS object or it's
in DNS in the _msdcs zone.

>I have read I can run the Exchange 2003 setup.exe file with the switch
>/removeorg ?
>
>If I run that can I then reinstall Exchange 2003 also will it cause an issue
>with our Exchange 2007 or is this switch nothing to do do with 2007?

Well, if you remove the organization from the configuration container
you remove all of Exchange, not just a single server. That doesn't
sound like a good idea to me. :-)
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 16:43:39 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

>Ah, this old DC is in _msdcs zone in DNS, but I can't remove it.

But you don't find it in the "Servers" container beneath one of the AD
Sites in the "Active Directory Sites and Services" snap-in? There
should be a NTDS beneath the server and the properties of that object
have a "DNS Alias". If the server was demoted you should be able to
remove the server from the AD site.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Whiteford on
So woudl that mean it will remove the Exchange 2007 servers to (removeorg)?

We only had 1 x Exchange 2003 server, and now we have 4 Exchange 2007
servers (2 x mbx and 2 x CAS).

I tried the removeorg on a cone DC and managed to reinstall the Exchange
2003 server, but had to build the structure again, which was fine.

From: Whiteford on
The DNS alias is 82B9CF96-96E6-410F-A25B-76B5E658EE2F._msdcs.local under
sites > Name > Servers > DC name > NTDS settings

What is this?