From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:15:35 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

>It's the name of the good server,

Well, then leave that one alone. :-)

>I can't find the old DC server anywhere.
>Looking back at our helpdesk logs the decommission of the old DC did cause
>the old Exchange 2003 server to stop working. Thing is we hae no users on
>it, it is only for old restores, but I'd still like to have it on our live
>Domain.
>
>I could create a new domani with the same name and same Exchange server on a
>separate VLAN/DMZ I suppose.

The point is that if the DC and GC names aren't specified in the
registry of the Exchange server then it's discovering them in either
the AD or the DNS.

On the Exchange server, set the "Diagnostics Logging" for the
MSEXchangeDSAccess \ Topology" to "Maximum" for a hour. Check the
Application Log for Event-ID 2080. That'll show you what the server is
finding for directories.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Whiteford on
Event ID 2080 looks ok now, but still can't start the Inforamtion or MTA
service:

Process MAD.EXE (PID=1576). DSAccess has discovered the following servers
with the following characteristics:
(Server name | Roles | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC |
SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
In-site:
DC1.local CDG 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
DC2.local CDG 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1
Out-of-site:
DC3.local CDG 7 7 1 0 1 1 7 1

From: Whiteford on
I do also see this error, is it important:

Event ID 913 MSExchangeTransport:

Routing information in the Directory Service is either corrupt or
incomplete. Process Id: 1244 Process location:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ComponentDN: CN=Comapny
Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=gb,DC=vo,DC=local

Event ID 2078 MSExchangeDSaccess

Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1244). DSAccess is shutting down.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:42:34 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

>I do also see this error, is it important:

If inetinfo isn't running, yeah.

>Event ID 913 MSExchangeTransport:
>
>Routing information in the Directory Service is either corrupt or
>incomplete. Process Id: 1244 Process location:
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe ComponentDN: CN=Comapny
>Name,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=gb,DC=vo,DC=local
>
>Event ID 2078 MSExchangeDSaccess
>
>Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1244). DSAccess is shutting down.

If all you're going to use this machine for is recovery work, I'd make
careful note of its configuration (location and names of file systrem
directories, etc.) and remove the machine using setup.exe. Then
reinstall the machine using the same name and configuration.

The machine isn't used for anything else, right? It's not the OAB
server, it has no public folder replicas, no user mailboxes, or any of
the other things that should be moved to the Exchange 2007 servers
before removing the last E2K3 server in the organization?
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Whiteford on
This server is only used for restores of pre 2007 mailboxes. I have
uninstalled it before, but when I reinstall it, it seems AD puts everything
back, the names, DB locations etc. You suggest a clean install how could I
do this, as it sounds like the best way now?