From: Whiteford on
Hi,

We have a Windows 2003 AD and have recently upgraded to Exchange 2007. We
still kept our old Exchange 2003 server live for old restores etc. We
recently removed an old DC, I just did a DCpromo etc and cleaned up the
metadata and DNS and we now have 3 healthy DC's working. The DC I removed
was the very first DC we built when upgrading our domain from Windows NT 4.0
to 2003.

Since I have removed the old DC our Exchange server no longer works the MTA
and Information Store server no longer start and the Event ID I get is:

Event ID 5000 MSExchangeIS Error 0x8004010f connecting to Active Directory

I have ran DCdiag and NTdiag and all come back fine. I have tried
reinstalling Exchnage but I get the same issues, is it best to remove
Exchange from AD and start from fresh? I have read I can use from the
Exchange 2003 CD the setup.exe /removeorg switch, but am no sure of this
will also remove the Exchnage 2007 setup from the schema.

Please advise, hopefully the old Exchange 2003 server is looking for our old
DC somewhere, I've done some basic checks.

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 11:26:21 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We have a Windows 2003 AD and have recently upgraded to Exchange 2007. We
>still kept our old Exchange 2003 server live for old restores etc. We
>recently removed an old DC, I just did a DCpromo etc and cleaned up the
>metadata and DNS and we now have 3 healthy DC's working. The DC I removed
>was the very first DC we built when upgrading our domain from Windows NT 4.0
>to 2003.
>
>Since I have removed the old DC our Exchange server no longer works the MTA
>and Information Store server no longer start and the Event ID I get is:
>
>Event ID 5000 MSExchangeIS Error 0x8004010f connecting to Active Directory
>
>I have ran DCdiag and NTdiag and all come back fine. I have tried
>reinstalling Exchnage but I get the same issues, is it best to remove
>Exchange from AD and start from fresh? I have read I can use from the
>Exchange 2003 CD the setup.exe /removeorg switch, but am no sure of this
>will also remove the Exchnage 2007 setup from the schema.
>
>Please advise, hopefully the old Exchange 2003 server is looking for our old
>DC somewhere, I've done some basic checks.

Check the "Directory Access" tab on the server's property page. Make
sure the "Automatically discover servers" box is checked on each of
the three specific choices in the "Show" drop-down list box.

It may take a little while for any changes to take effect.

You can set the "Diagnostics Logging" on that server for
"MSExchangeDSAccess \ Topology" to, say, "Maximum" and check the
Application Log for event-id 2080 to see the results of the the
DSAccess discovery.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Whiteford on
Hi,

the DC's are all the current live DC's :(

I just tried to create a new Storage group then a New DB under that and go
the popup error:

"A constraint violation occurred.

Facility: LDAP Provider
ID no: 8007202f
Exchange System Manager"

And in the event logs (EVENT ID 8260) the old DC appears!!! I'm happy but
shouldn't be as I don't know why.

Could not open LDAP session to directory 'old-DC.corp.local' using local
service credentials. Cannot access Address List configuration information.
Make sure the server 'old-DC.corp.local' is running. DC=corp,DC=local

Why can't i get it to see the new DC's?

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 14:27:55 -0000, "Whiteford" <no(a)no.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

>Why can't i get it to see the new DC's?

Don't know -- but it might pay to have a look at the registry on that
server:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124641(EXCHG.65).aspx

Even if the GUI says everything's okay, sometimes falling back to the
old manual ways of doing things works better.

I'd set up the configuration, domain, and global catalog values to use
the same DC in the registry. Then see if it still gives you the same
error. If it does, reboot the box one time and see if that changes
anything.

If the error goes away, remove all the registry stuff and go back to
using the auto-detect. If it fails again I think you might have
someing in the AD that wasn't removed cleanly. Check DNS, too. Maybe
there's still stuff in there (in the _msdcs zone) for the old machine.
Check the AD Sites and Services snap-in, too. Maybe there's left over
NTDS info for that machine.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: Whiteford on
Thanks for finding the time to help on this, but still no luck.

Is it possible to remove Exchange 2003 attributes from AD? I can then
rebuild it from scratch, same name, SG's, DB's etc, the structure?

I have read I can run the Exchange 2003 setup.exe file with the switch
/removeorg ?

If I run that can I then reinstall Exchange 2003 also will it cause an issue
with our Exchange 2007 or is this switch nothing to do do with 2007?

Thanks