From: Russ Valentine on
There is and was no debate. You do not use the archive process to transfer
your Outlook data. That was the confusion I was trying to point out. PST
files contain a lot of data that the archive process leaves behind.
That's why I suggested using one of the correct methods for data transfer
we've documented here countless times. Like copying your Outlook data file
for example.
--
Russ Valentine

From: John on
Just to point out to a few issues, there has been conflicting views expressed here.

First, you can actually move your outlook data by archiving them first and importing them back to the new pc. Maybe not the best method but it's quite possible.

Wrong Suggestions
To say that Archiving only means autoarchive. Manual archiving is also possible.

My method will be;
If you're using different version of Outlook on the PCs then;
Make sure you import your old pst files into the new PC's outlook using the import function.

If you're using the same version of Outlook then you just need to copy the files across; eg using xcopy from the new pc.

xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook" "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

Let's know if you are able to resolve this.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.outlook/-Outlook-2007-Best-way-to-migrate-POP3-account-info-+-rules-from-one-co
From: Gordon on

"John" <user(a)msgroups.net/> wrote in message
> Just to point out to a few issues, there has been conflicting views
> expressed here.
>
> First, you can actually move your outlook data by archiving them first and
> importing them back to the new pc.

Wrong. See below as to why not.

> My method will be;
> If you're using different version of Outlook on the PCs then;
> Make sure you import your old pst files into the new PC's outlook using
> the import function.

Wrong again. See below.

> If you're using the same version of Outlook then you just need to copy the
> files across; eg using xcopy from the new pc.

Partially correct solution.

> xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
> "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y
>
> xcopy "\\Old PC\C$\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local
> Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook"
> "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook" /D /S /E /Y

Do NOT paste into the default location, particularly if there is a pst file
already there.

(Courtesy of Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook])

Importing an entire PST may well corrupt your profile and may create a ghost
PST that you can't close. Importing PST's will lose:
1. Custom Forms
2. Custom Views
3. Connections between contacts and activities
4. Received dates on mail
5. Birthdays and anniversaries in calendar
6. Journal connections
7. Distribution Lists

Opening a PST file will preserve all of these. That is why we do not advise
people to import a native file into Outlook.