From: Cliffhucker on
I have seen many similar posts but have yet to find a solution!!
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/wizard.mspx?query=Outlook+failed+to+start+correctly+last+time.&w=1&type=question&dg=&cat=en-us-office-outlook&lang=en&cr=US&pt=50663fd1-dbad-4705-b915-e4cf683e70fe&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

I am trying to fix this for a friend, when she opens Oulook 2002 she gets
this error mess:
Outlook failed to start correctly last time. Starting Outlook in safe mode
will help you correct or isolate a startup problem in order to successfully
start the program. Some functionality may be disabled in this mode.

Then:
Do you want to start Outlook in safe mode?

I have tried deleting the
outcmd.dat file (it doesnt come back either)
extend.dat file
frmcache file
I renamed the *.srs files
I ran the detect and repair many times

In an earlier post Spam bayes was involved? It is on this machine too and I
have unistalled it/ relocated its dat files and nothing.

I will donate to whomever can resolve this! PLEASE PLEASE!!

Thanks

From: AJRAMBO on
Do you have any error messages in the event log? By the sounds of the problem
you are having might seem a harsh way to do this but it might just be worth
backing up your outlook data i.e .pst file etc.....and re-installing outlook.
Might save you some time if this has'nt been tryed yet.
--
ajrambo

please remember to rate this post thx :)

From: Cliffhucker on
Yes there were some error messages in the event log. The description just
says;"Accepted safe mode action: Microsoft Outlook" Source is Microsoft
Office 10 Event ID:200
It doesnt give much more pertinent info than that.

I was thinking and trying to prep for reinstalling office. So do I just
need to back-up the .pst file????
Will all her settings and email/folders be put back after reinstall? Shee
uses her outlook for business and has tons of folders and email doc's.
She would kill me if they are lost! She'll kill me anyways cuz it wont run
out of safe mode.
Anyother ideas?

Thanks,
CH

From: AJRAMBO on
Try this link and see what you think, if you have any problems let me
know.... please be carefull when deleting things from the registry you MUST
follow it word for word.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319517

From: AJRAMBO on
If she uses her outlook for work and the data is important you should back
her data up even if there are not any problems, the folders to back up are
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\outlook & C:\Documents and Settings\stevensa\Application
Data\Microsoft\outlook. That way if she ever does lose her data you would be
able to recover it.