From: atec 77 "atec 77 on
Tom wrote:
> "atec 77" <"atec 77 "@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Tom wrote:
>>> "atec 77" <"atec 77 "@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> No. But it is quite easy to pick one up at around $500 at an auction
>>> these days
>>> minus the operating system.

>> The x346 would be a minimum however a new quad-core machine custom built ,
>> maybe order something like a dell w/s to suite your needs
>> your choice and budget , the thing is with used do you have the knowledge
>> to install the o/s and make everything work
>
> Child's play. What's the big deal?
it might be if you are unfamiliar with them
means some download

From: keithr on
On 16/02/2010 1:25 PM, Tom wrote:
> "keithr"<keithr(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message

>>> VBA
>>
>> Are you actually crunching the data in VBA or using it to automate Office?
>
> Yes.

I assume that yes means that you are using it for number crunching. It
is a most unsuitable tool for that use, it was devised to automate
Office tasks.

If you really need your app to go faster then you only really have two
options, get the fastest clocked CPU that you can lay hands on,
multi-cores aren't going to help you at all, or rewrite the app in a
more suitable language.

Almost any modern language would do a better job, but it would probably
be easiest to port your app to VB dot net. VB used to be something of a
joke but, in it's latest form, it is a reasonable language, object
oriented and capable of multi-threading to make use of multi-core CPUs.
You can even download a development environment and compiler from
MickeySoft for free.
From: Tom on

> On 16/02/2010 1:25 PM, Tom wrote:
>> "keithr"<keithr(a)nowhere.com.au> wrote in message

>>> Are you actually crunching the data in VBA or using it to automate
>>> Office?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> I assume that yes means that you are using it for number crunching. It is
> a most unsuitable tool for that use, it was devised to automate Office
> tasks.
>
> If you really need your app to go faster then you only really have two
> options, get the fastest clocked CPU that you can lay hands on,

I thought of doing that.

> multi-cores aren't going to help you at all, or rewrite the app in a more
> suitable language.
>
> Almost any modern language would do a better job, but it would probably be
> easiest to port your app to VB dot net. VB used to be something of a joke
> but, in it's latest form, it is a reasonable language, object oriented and
> capable of multi-threading to make use of multi-core CPUs. You can even
> download a development environment and compiler from MickeySoft for free.

Wow, that sounds interesting. http://mikisoft.co.cc/ Is that the link?
Thanks.

From: keithr on
On 16/02/2010 3:07 PM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF > wrote:
> Tom wrote:

>>> Note, you still haven't mentioned which language your app(s) is/are
>>> written in. I hope its not Visual Basic or an interpreted language.
>> It is VB. Microsoft chose it because of its small set of vocabulary,
>> hence easy to
>> learn by everyone. To fully utilise its office applications one does
>> not have to invent the
>> the wheels or do a course in computing. Interpreted languages are
>> popular because of
>> their capacity to improve productivity and thus play a valuable part
>> in computing.
>
> Interpreted languages are also slow. Its their fundamental drawback.

There seems some confusion as the whether the OP is talking about VB or
VBA. VBA is an interpreted language, the most recent versions of VB are
not.

VB dot net uses a JIT compiler, and should be just as fast as any other
compiled language. If you code it right, you can even run it under Linux
using MONO.
From: Tom on

"Terryc" <newsfourspam-spam(a)woa.com.au> wrote in message
> Tom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using an in-house application program to process data downloaded
>> from the ASX five days a week. The processing takes about 2 hours each
>> night using an ordinary PC running Windows XP and Intel 2.6 GHz single
>> core system. I have been told that it would be better to use a
>> Workstation PC instead.
>
> A workstation Pc is just a faster, gruntier PC.
> Why is the 2 hours a problem?

In the GUI environment that the program operates, processing stops when it
encounters
a problem and error trapped. Have to press the "Enter" key for it to
continue.

>> I take it that you can also install other OS as well.
>
> nope, unless the softwae is written and optimised on another OS, then
> ported to XP, no benefit.
>
>> What are some of the advantages and disadvantages other than cost, to use
>> a Workstation? Thanks for your contribution.
>
> It will cost you more in hardware and another PC software licence and it
> may, not definitely, run faster.

Thanks for the tip.